Google Sued Over Android Brand

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
There's lots of companies with similar names where I live, nobody gets sued because they have added names. I don't think this lawsuit is going to go anywhere. Google Android != Android Data Corporation. I guess it is just some sue happy person again. We have those too.

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
is the company dissolved? it's pretty black and white based on that. But google, come one, letting something like this sneak up on you?

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
$95 million...

Is your company damages even worth 1/100 that?

People, stop suing Apple/Microsoft/Google.
Especially you, Texans.
Get off this bandwagon of suing at any reason for insane amounts. Get lost. Have Mac/M$/Google been sued enough lately?

G

Some of the posters here should learn to distinguish between trademarks, patents and copyrights. Having a trademark on a name does not indicate that you have "copyright" on the word (so to speak) and that nobody from then on can use the word without your sayso. A trademark exists to avoid consumer confusion and to protect the consumer (e.g. when you buy the Coca-Cola brand you know you are purchasing the softdrink you know and love and not some cheap knockoff some guy brewed in his toilet). This guy is obviously not trying to protect his brand because he doesn't really have a product that will confuse with Google's Android O.S.

He's attempting to grab a few million in settlement from Google because he know's it will be cheaper for them to settle than to follow the matter through in court. The whole thing makes my stomach turn, greed has become the cornerstone of our society.

mforce2

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2006
Apple didn't have the iPhone brand either but that didn't stop them. They just launched the phone and worried about having the brand later. I can't remember how they took it from Cisco but it seems they did it.
You probably have to pay something in these cases and settle before it goes to trial. I'm sure google can give this company some cash to go and buy themselves some lollipop.

magicandy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2008
"Alright, so that last part makes us want to sucker punch his lawyer for making him sound like a whiny crybaby".

I'm sorry, but could you please stick to actual journalism? You're here to report without opinion, do it right. If you want to 'ad-lib' and insert little snide comments here and there, label it as an editorial or leave here and join a blog. Tom's isn't supposed to be written is blog style, yet you and many of the newer staff are doing a nice job crapping all over proper journalism.

jawshoeaw

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008
Google does kind of come across as the bully - they were denied copyright - why didn't they just offer the original owner (who sounds like he was a little broke) a buyout or equivalent. It is surely cheaper than fighting a lawsuit. They could have offered him a cool million. They didn't for the usual reasons - greed, stupidity, laziness. They'll settle with him for sure but i don't get people mad about lawsuits. Sounds like a dream come true to me, get a million dollars from Google because you thought of something first. Right to intellectual property including trade names is a cornerstone of capitalism. If the lawsuit has no merit, it'll get thrown out. If it has merit, why shouldn't Google be punished?

Personally, I think giant lawsuits like this shouldn't go into the hands of a single individual though. Let's say he got the whole $90 something million. Give him 1% and the rest to a charity or something.

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
ummmmm what wrong with the word Android?
Its not a coined word.

Its mostly used in SCi-FI.

This is like someone trade marking the word 'window'

We all know that future robots will probably be androids.
I mean we already refer to the idea of them to that name.

Can't Goodge just change the name from Android to Android OS to avoid the jerk who is pissing his pants over the name Android?

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
That's why there is a crysis right now because everybody is suing everybody for easy money. And lawyers get hefty sums by producing absolutely nothing useful themselves but still suck the blood dry of the society. The whole system is wrong... and it will just get worse and worse...

MattPerri

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
> "[Specht] put a lot of thought into that name, Android. He
> felt, 'Google is taking this away from me,'” finished Murphy.

Business failure, greed, laziness, and stupidity - I'll trademark all of these and sue Specht for $100 bln for unauthorized public exposition of these behaviors without written permission.

Loser with $94 mln won in a lawsuit about use of commonly used word is still a loser, that is he may show off in a new Ferrari, but as far as I know courts do not grant defendants "respect" or do not enforce respect from the society.

As for the lot of effort that Specht had put into the name, he may acutally be suffering from a disease leading to severe verbal difficulties. Just think how many meetings the company must have held to come up with the name. Oh, and once in a while to look up "science fiction" on wikipedia and read one or two books about robots, written way before the famous Android Data Corporation was set up, as a leader of technological innovation "changed the world" with doing nothing, and failed miserably leading to dissolution.

And after dissolving the company in 2004, he's been keeping second set of books, tracking every penny, until right now when the amount grew to $94 million. Shouldn't illegal work for dissolved company be rewarded? Are you all people so cold-hearted to tell him "no"?

Though I rarely side with Google's legal moves, I think it is perfectly natural to finally consider the name as non-trademarkable because it had been used so often in the last 50 years, and that one lazy, greedy and mentally challenged pseudo-businessman will not dare to direct the spotlight on his lack of skills in many aspects of life, trying to get credit for the vast part of society that introduced the world to culture decades ago. Maybe it's just not as bad as we think, maybe it's just pure ignorance.

rhangman

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
Android watch company has been around since like the early 90's.

How many people use their mobile phone to tell the time instead of a watch?

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Here we go again...

You know, I'm thinking of leaving my full-time job and start trademarking common names, nouns and verbs. One day, a company is bound to fall on one of my copyrighted trademarks then BAM! I'm a millionaire!

fatroll

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
I think Google should change the name to 'Androiden', which in German would mean 'female android'... I like it better anyway! do I get kickbacks if they use that?

norbs

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]brookg[/nom]I love it... build a company and fail, but sue and you might succeed.[/citation]
Ahhh... the American Way.

Status
Not open for further replies.