Google Talking Ice Cream Sandwich, Nexus Right Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

joaompp

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
Quote: "how Samsung and Google work together to become the number one Android partnership"

So I guess Motorola was a wasted acquisition, which, by the way, is the only cell phone manufacturer not paying MicroSoft to make Android phones... I guess I don't get it?

subaru41

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
WOW, the iPhone 4S has been out for like a week or two and already it seems like really old, outdated technology on a tiny screen. I guess if you are going for the smallest smartphone in the world , then the iPhone 4S is not a bad choice. There are so many great phones to choose from like the HTC Amaze, Samsung Galaxy S2, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Motorola RAZR, etc. I will be the first one to admit I was a fool for buying the iPhone 4 when it came out. I went through 3 of them in 4 months with antenna and glass issues. I never want to go back to misery and itty bitty screen.

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
Amazing. Panoramic photos are incredible. Android Beam is pretty flippin' awesome. Face unlock is cool ...if it actually works, lol.

I'm not an iPhone hater by any means, but ICS really makes iOS5 look pretty ridiculous. Siri is cool, but I haven't seen this many new technologies in a product unveiling since... uhhh...

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Sure, that's nice. Stuff like Beam and face unlock have been done years ago by other companies/countries however, so they don't come as very impressive to me.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
I'm not impressed by the camera - come on, Nokia N8 had an amazing 12MP (too bad it couldn't record 1080p, though!) - but at least it seems okay and it can record 1080p. The rest of the specs are nice; I'd take an SGS II HD over this but it's a great phone. +1 on calling it Galaxy Nexus, I like Galaxy brand :D

Maybe now Apple fanboys will shut it about better DPI, because Galaxy Nesus' is aboot the same as their iPhone 4S's, and combined with a bigger screen, it's great. I like all these app updates and new features; but...

... does it have HDMI and USB-on-the-Go? :) I wouldn't be surprised if it wouldn't, though, this phone seems a bit different from what we're used to in the Galaxy S line: it doesn't have top specs in everything, but it packs a good set of software, great screen and I'm sure Samsung will find a way for Galaxy Nexus and Galaxy S2 to co-exist peacefully.

I've been skipping on Ice Cream Sandwich news... it looks like they added a few new cool features!

Graph of your data usage, and you can even set a mobile data limit for those of you on data caps. It even breaks down data usage by app. This is VERY cool to have integrated as a native solution. Definitely something that's too granular for Apple to put into iOS.

I like this app-specific limits, and the Apple remark is nice... they allegedly care about their user experience but somehow don't have something like that yet. Another questions is, why did take Android so long to implement this? The idea is simple...

[citation][nom]soo-nah-mee[/nom]ICS really makes iOS5 look pretty ridiculous. Siri is cool, but I haven't seen this many new technologies in a product unveiling since... uhhh...[/citation]

I agree - this is quite a set of new features; I bet that those of the 4S buyers who know a bit about tech are banging their heads against the wall right now...

[citation][nom]subaru41[/nom]WOW, the iPhone 4S has been out for like a week or two and already it seems like really old, outdated technology on a tiny screen.[/citation]

It was ALWAYS like that. iPhone 1 - pretty much every non-touch smartphone packed more connectivity and features. I don't remember what was happening during iPhone 2-3GS, they might have been ahead of others. However, ever since Galaxy S1 came out, their [:amk-aka-phantom:1] innovative [:amk-aka-phantom:1] phones come out already beaten by the competitors products, and I like it this way.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
seems interesting, please check if you can find out which flash memory it is using. While having a decent CPU and lots of memory is great, having fast flash memory is also important as it directly effects your ability to multitask and have the OS feel snappy.

But many reviews rarely test the speed of the flash memory.

And about the camera, image quality is more important than megapixels. Are they using a better image sensor, or are they using the cheap crappy 5MP sensor from their older devices.

The 8mp sensor on the iphone 4s doesn't even come close to the quality of my old 5 megapixel DSLR, or even my 7.1MP point and shoot)

While the newer image sensors may be better than older ones, it is not really related to the increase in resolution. the noticeable improvements come from better (lower noise) sensors that can capture a higher dynamic range, as well as better color accuracy, along with having a better lens (which even the high end phones like the iphone 4s lack for the most part). When dealing with a small camera unit, it impossible to get a proper lens that will accurately focus light in a way which prevents most of the lens distortion, as well as improve sharpness, as well as having a large enough size to allow more light in. On shots without a flash, in situations where a cellphone will crank up the ISO and still use a slow shutter speed of like 1/2, I can do with a ISO of around 250, and a shutter speed of 1/50 and still get a well exposed image.

A friend of mine with a canon EOS 1d mk III and a fast prime lens can use ISO's of 100 and shutter speeds of 1/100+ in average indoor lighting and get great shots with almost no noise.

G

Seriously people. Are you really expecting a 8MP camera to be significantly better than a 5MP camera for a phone? A phone that has a 1mm (and most likely smaller) lens. A 3MP point and shoot will take better pictures than a 12MP camera phone. Since forever, MP has been a marketing term. When unless they give fine details about the tech behind the camera, its going to just be crap.

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
I wouldn't get this phone as I am happy with my GSII, but I am definitely excited for ICS! Hopefully Samsung and AT&T don't make us wait a year and a half before getting it though...

G

Seriously, as a photographer, don't let the 5 megapixel camera thing turn you off. Look up something called the "circle of confusion." It's a physical law that determines how small you can focus a given beam of light. What does that have to do with camera phones? Well, if you know you can't focus light smaller than a certain size, there's no point making a camera sensor with pixels that are smaller than that point. And yet phone and camera manufacturers do it anyway because, as we can see from the comments, people will make a snap decision based purely on the number of megapixels a camera has. Even if giving it more megapixels would actually cause it to take WORSE photos.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]joaompp[/nom]Quote: "how Samsung and Google work together to become the number one Android partnership"So I guess Motorola was a wasted acquisition, which, by the way, is the only cell phone manufacturer not paying MicroSoft to make Android phones... I guess I don't get it?[/citation]
They can't, if Motorola ever pay Microsoft, seeing as they are now owned by Google, then Google would have to admit using Microsoft IP and if MS wanted they could push a worldwide injunction or a licensing payment in the realm of billions.
Very expensive game.

dthx

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Let's not start a megapixels war. Lots of pixels on a too small sensor means too small pixels and bad sensibility or lots of noise if you prefer. The quality you get in practice (even with expensive dslr's) has nothing to do with the amount of pixels. I'll choose a modern 5mp sensor over an 1 months old 10mp sensor design anytime !
I am afraid facial recognition will be as usefull or as useless in everyday life as Siri is. It already works on laptops in a well lit office, but how the hell do you want your phone to recognise you in backlight conditions or in semi-darkness (unless you fit some IR lamp on the thing maybe).
Besides that, it looks like a great (and big) phone ! I like it but I'll stick to my sensation for a while.

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
iPhone 4S vs Galaxy Nexus

4S - faster (look up the benchmarks, the A5 destroys tegra 2, let alone this setup)
Camera - iPhone has the best phone camera on the market
Screen - Nexus has the better screen by a bit HD LED IPS vs HD AMOLED - they're pretty close
OS - ICS sandwich wins for OS
Apps - iPhone 4S wins
Customizability - ICS wins hands down
Ease of Use - iP4s

I'm a tech nerd, and this galaxy nexus looks sweet. I'll still be recommending the iPhone to all my non-tech friends though, cuz droid is still freaking hard for a non-tech person to use like it's meant to be used.

down vote me: I don't really care, cuz at the end of the day they're both great phones.

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
I sick of both apple and droid fanboys.

Since when does the goodness of your phone depend on what phone it beats. For me the goodness of the phone depends on one thing: how well and efficiently it gets MY tasks done.

I have a lot of droid buddies who just rage on iPhone, and a lot of iPhone buddies who just rage on droid.

Grow up

Status
Not open for further replies.