Google Users Complain Over Nifty ''Ballsy'' Logo

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
edit... now 2-4% for Firefox (with balls of different sizes that are changing size like they're getting closer to you). 7% for IE8 (balls are all the same size and don't change size... but there are more of them).

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
If your computer is capable of running Windows 7 at usable speeds then the new Google logo won't slow down your computer at all. There's not a single business or individual on the planet that absolutely MUST use Google. Really, Google should have animated backgrounds like Myspace along with either Adobe Flash or HTML 5 animations. Because you can never have too much eye candy and this sort of this won't slow down the vast majority of computers still in use out there.

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
Uses 30%-40% CPU on my 2.0 GHz Athlon II mobile. I don't really care; even after it takes up most of one core, I still have another available! In Firefox 4b4 w/D2D hardware acceleration enabled, it runs very smoothly. Really cool looking, too!

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
It's like a game! You can disrupt the balls and get a few moved into the corner of the screen with your cursor, then move the cursor around to keep the balls cornered like a sheepdog herding sheep.

gmarsack

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
Seriously? I think if that animation is taking up that much CPU it's time to upgrade your PC. My system jumps 2% when going to Google. A new CPU costs, what, like 50 bucks?

processthis

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Task manager says about 100% on my P4 when they are flying all over the place. And no, you don't have to click it to get it to start...at least I don't. I'm using Firefox with nothing else open BTW. I'm sure it'll go back to normal in a few days so no worries. It doesn't actually seem to slow anything down anyway.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]jerreece[/nom]As far as I'm concerned, the new logo is unprofessional. It honestly makes me feel like I'm at some spoof site and not really at the legit Google website. Not to mention, I just find it annoying.The logo distorts even if I simply move the cursor into the text box. I don't even have to touch the logo for it to flip out. Ultimately, what this means for Google is that the 10 seconds the person spends at the Google main page, their logo is present for perhaps 1 of those 10 seconds.Bad for brand recognition.[/citation]
Google is known for doing fun, weird and interesting things with their logos, they have pretty much always done it. That is part of their brand recognition.

haramir

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
Wow, that's kind of cool. I would have never seen it if it wasn't for this article though. I almost never go to the main Google page. I either go straight to Gmail or I type my search query into the address bar of Chrome.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
Well, that shouldn't probably affect PCs with graphics cards. I have tried it on my laptop with a mobility Radeon 5650 and no noticeable spikes.

orionantares

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
[citation][nom]zubikov[/nom]Let's all agree...nobody likes balls in their face when they turn on their computer and browse the internet.[/citation]

And if they do, their first stop will be to chat-roulette.

Status
Not open for further replies.