Google Videos Now Available for Froyo, Gingerbread

Status
Not open for further replies.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]Schip[/nom]$3.99 for a movie rental seems too expensive to me. Maybe I'm just cheap.[/citation]
I agree. Red Box manages it for a dollar and that involves an actual physical disc. Why is this so expensive?

Prince_Porter

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
My guess would be that while it costs more to manufacture a physical copy, that's basically a one time payment. People continue to rent from the red box, using that same copy over and over, where as online rentals continues to consume data forever. Red Box pays more initially, but then starts earning money very quickly, online rental has to continue to pay to keep it's service running smoothly, while taking a small profit with each rental.

lauxenburg

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
[citation][nom]Prince_Porter[/nom]My guess would be that while it costs more to manufacture a physical copy, that's basically a one time payment. People continue to rent from the red box, using that same copy over and over, where as online rentals continues to consume data forever. Red Box pays more initially, but then starts earning money very quickly, online rental has to continue to pay to keep it's service running smoothly, while taking a small profit with each rental.[/citation]

Maybe but try explaining that to the rest of the world. $2-3 wouldn't be so bad. If I'm watching it on a 3 inch screen, I'd rather not pay a full price.

w1zz4

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
Samsung Nexus S
This item cannot be installed in your device's country.

How shocking, this isn't available in Canada (with a little bit of irony)

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
At some point in time the industry has to realize that if they make their products available at at price that is reasonable they will succeed, but if they follow the same (or higher) prices than a physical store they are doomed to fail. At $4 a movie its still more worthwhile to just download it from pirate bay. Or for those that don't mind paying, which is most people, just pay the $8 and have all the movies you want via netflix. Whomever thought this was a good business model should be fired.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]At some point in time the industry has to realize that if they make their products available at at price that is reasonable they will succeed, but if they follow the same (or higher) prices than a physical store they are doomed to fail. At $4 a movie its still more worthwhile to just download it from pirate bay. Or for those that don't mind paying, which is most people, just pay the $8 and have all the movies you want via netflix. Whomever thought this was a good business model should be fired.[/citation]

Downloading from Pirate Bay gets a bit more expensive if the MPAA pulls your name from their hat and sues you for $150k. Now that's an expensive rental.

BTW, streaming rentals are usually more costly, due to convenience factors, especially depending on how soon they get the release. This is especially true if it's an HD rental. Check Vudu or Youtube's pricing sometime, this price is comparable to that.

pirateboy

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
hey tomshardware.....cant you write a simple little script that detects advertising and automatically bans users....and also blocks ip's that were used, even if they were proxies...geez

mschlenker

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
The key to me is "or to download the clips for offline viewing when a connection isn't available."
I know most people have a limited cell data plan and can’t afford to stream very many movies. But if I can download via wifi at home then watch it on the road, that’s a more realistic option.

Status
Not open for further replies.