Google Wifi Review: Mesh for the Right Price

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacksmith21006

Estimable
Feb 6, 2016
This past Christmas replaced our AirPort Extreme as Apple dropped the product last year. You really do not want a product no longer being developed.

Youngest daughter could never stream video in her bedroom and now she can. I am a hero. Purchased the Google WiFi three pack and highly recommend.

Favorite feature is the IFTTT being able to see if kids are home or not by just rolling over instead of searching the house.

The ability to turn off Internet, not only WiFi, at certain times or kids is also a nice feature.

BTW, with the WiFi bug with Broadcom and just generally how important security with your network would be looking at replacing anyone with AirPorts as Apple not longer developing and moved the engineers to other projects.

"Apple reportedly stops developing AirPort WiFi router products, moving employees to other projects"
https://9to5mac.com/2016/11/21/apple-reportedly-stops-developing-airport-wifi-router-products-moving-employees-to-other-projects/

Kane_S

Prominent
Jun 17, 2017
I've had the Google WiFi setup in my home for the past month, so far no issue, speeds are consistent without any drops or buffering when watching something on Roku. The home is a 1730 Sqft rancher, so the three pack is a bit of an overkill, but hey it works! Unfortunately here in Canada, we only have access to Google WiFi, and Linksys Velop, no Eero. I like the fact that Google can push out updates, especially if there's a zero-day venerability, (as long as they don't break anything!

qdrddr

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017
Downside for me Google WiFi not allow you to use WiFi mesh network in bridge mode. Bridge mode works with only one WiFi node. Bridge mode is required in case when you already have a router for example with pre-build Ad-block.
Seriously considering to return Google WiFi....

qdrddr

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017
Downside for me Google WiFi not allow you to use WiFi mesh network in bridge mode. Bridge mode works with only one WiFi node. Bridge mode is required in case when you already have a router for example with pre-build Ad-block.
Seriously considering to return Google WiFi....

qdrddr

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017
And the only thing which prevents me from using another router with MESH, that Google WiFi not allow you to disable DHCP...
Google, please add functionality to disable DHCP on Google WiFI!!

Status
Not open for further replies.