Google's Answer to Siri Codenamed 'Majel' After Star Trek?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

darkavenger123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
I hate Apple for all the gimmicks....with iPhone4, they promote FACETIME like they invented video-calling (and it's not even true 3G video calling!) and now some soup up voice command ...i wonder what Apple will claim for iPhone5....oh, maybe an improved speaker with better bass...and they made it like they invent the speaker??? LOL.

applerocks

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
[citation][nom]js1882[/nom]Android has been able to do what Siri does for years now. I just hate whenever apple does something it is "revolutionary" and everyone goes on about it. Also apple didn't invent siri, they just bought a company that was already making the softwareand now people give apple all the credit:http://scobleizer.com/2010/04/28/b [...] -by-apple/[/citation]

Google didnt invent Android either, they just bought a company...

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Usual haters and idiotic fandroids again I see.

So what if Apple bought Siri? Siri of today is far better than the original Siri after the development Apple has put into it (Apple's largest single R&D team is devoted to Siri).

What about Android? It was an independent company before Google bought it and dumped significant resources into it to make it what it is today.

As to the people who say Google Voice does what Siri does, well if you can't see the difference then there's really no point trying to explain it to you. Some people just refuse to see something right in front of their eyes because they're blinded by hate. Ask yourself this: Why does Google on one hand say Siri is a gimmick and yet turns around and starts development on a new, better Siri? What's the point if it's a "gimmick"? And what's the point if Google Voice already deos everything you need?

maddad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
.I hate Apple for all the gimmicks....with iPhone4, they promote FACETIME like they invented video-calling (and it's not even true 3G video calling!) and now some soup up voice command ...i wonder what Apple will claim for iPhone5....oh, maybe an improved speaker with better bass...and they made it like they invent the speaker??? LOL.
So, if Apple does it; it's a gimmick, but if Google does it on Android afterwards then its slick, polished"insert cool adjectives here". And for all those that say Android already had it for years then why are there suddenly all these clones. If you want it on Android and Google, puts it out then get it. But quit all the Apple trash talk, it is just getting stupid and childish.

G

thing is google didnt sell a phone on 1 app, that is what the 4s is.

we are not flaming apple for being overpriced as usual, nor are we flaming siri directly, we are flaming cause the 4s = iphone4 + siri, sorry but you have to be an idiot to fall for that marketing scheme. its a piece of software extra, not advanced hardware. if i root an iphone4 i can run siri off it... so then i have an 4s i guess.,. The 4s is selling for loads more then iphone 4 and its "top feature" is siri. I am a programmer so i cant help but logically think.. "This could have been implemented in many older phones". so the 4s feature was just an snall app, and thats why i flame siri/4s.

and all you idiots who dont understand WHY its called a gimmick read the above paragraph again, repeat till you understand.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]applerocks[/nom]Google didnt invent Android either, they just bought a company...[/citation]
Of course they didn't. But Android at the time wasn't a finished product. It took 3 years after Google's acquisition for the software to be ready for the masses, and I've never witnessed Google implying that they're the inventor of anything. Siri on the other hand was a finished product. So finished that you could get it for all iPhones on the app store (that is until the launch of the iPhone 4S and Apple removed it).

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]js1882[/nom]Android has been able to do what Siri does for years now. I just hate whenever apple does something it is "revolutionary" and everyone goes on about it. Also apple didn't invent siri, they just bought a company that was already making the softwareand now people give apple all the credit:http://scobleizer.com/2010/04/28/b [...] -by-apple/[/citation]

Google didn't do it first, they reacted to Apple's Siri release with their own version. If it sucked when Apple did it, then logically it should suck when Google does so. The fact that you guys react so differently means you are hypocrites.

What's lame is you guys give Google kudos for making something as a reaction to Apple's Siri (which many on this forum hated) - Now all of a sudden it's cool...

Google needs to lead with these things, not react to Apple.

You as consumers should hold Google to the same standard as Apple and give Apple credit for doing something that made Google create a competing technology...

Hypocrisy just to be cool, lol

(waiting for all the negative clicks)

old_newbie

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
What about "Edwin" (android app)?

http://www.droidapps.org/edwin-speech-to-speech-voice-assistant-for-android/

Its been doing speech-to-speech 'personal assistance' for a while now...

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Ummm, me think I wont be using Mejel nor the iDumbedyou siri anytime soon. Just have no need for such crap. I am glad though that this stuff is available, but they are nonevents for me. I did tell my blind friend that siri was out and also about Mejel. As an intelligent technology user he is waiting for an open solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.