Google's "Babel Fish Mobile" Universal Translator Still Alive

Status
Not open for further replies.

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
The trickiest part of this that I can think of will be programming the app to translate what is spoken with proper grammar. Google Translate often fumbles with grammar and it will be even harder to execute properly on-the-fly in real time during a conversation.

jdlobb

Honorable
May 16, 2013
Grammer would definitely be a troublesom point with realtime translation, as different languages structure the relationship between nouns, verbs, and adjectives differently. That being said, I think that is a severely minor issue. Most people are able to decifer the meaning of phrases in their native tounge, even if the grammer isn't perfect. If google tanslate tells me that "the red car moved", "the moved red car", or "the car red moved" I will still have a pretty good idea what's being said.

jdlobb

Honorable
May 16, 2013
Grammer would definitely be a troublesom point with realtime translation, as different languages structure the relationship between nouns, verbs, and adjectives differently. That being said, I think that is a severely minor issue. Most people are able to decifer the meaning of phrases in their native tounge, even if the grammer isn't perfect. If google tanslate tells me that "the red car moved", "the moved red car", or "the car red moved" I will still have a pretty good idea what's being said.

Status
Not open for further replies.