Google's HUD Glasses Sound Awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.

claec

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
Personally, I wouldn't have much use for them. A GPS function that lays out your path in front of you would be cool. As would a zoom function. The camera aspect is a bit creepy though :)

dalauder

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I could really use one of these to keep on eye on my health and stamina. Currently, my remaining hit points are only displayed briefly after I take damage.

dameon51

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
[citation][nom]dalauder[/nom]I could really use one of these to keep on eye on my health and stamina. Currently, my remaining hit points are only displayed briefly after I take damage.[/citation]
Also useful for keeping track of Elixer's and/or Ammo.

trandoanhung1991

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
[citation][nom]dalauder[/nom]I could really use one of these to keep on eye on my health and stamina. Currently, my remaining hit points are only displayed briefly after I take damage.[/citation]

I thought your whole vision would go red? :p

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
give me 720p for each eye, minimum

a wireless hdmi like interface, or a box that i can plug cable/pc/consoles into that will stream to my eyes.

allow me to change how big the image is... like how zoomed in it is to my face.

make the ear parts as thin as humanly possible and as strong as possible, and no ear anything... i have headphones for a reason. and wearing 2 glasses and them would be asking a bit much.

im probably asking a bit much out of these, but thats what i would need to be interested in them...

Chipi

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
Sorry, but I call "bull" on this one.
The human eye can't focus on objects that are extremely close. Try to hold your phone up close, like it was the lens of these "HUD Glasses". Can't see anything can you? :)
Depending on how good one's vision is, around 10 to 20cms of distance are needed between the eye and the object/display. Otherwise the image will just be a blur.

Not to mention the fact that viewing objects at a close range requires your ciliary muscles to contract. Doing this for a prolonged time is obviously not comfortable.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
After all of that, you're probably wondering when you can get a pair, right? Well, Google is said to be unsure of the mass market appeal of these specs. For this reason, the company is considering launching them in a similar manner to the Cr-42 Chrome notebooks -- that is, a pilot program.

I'd be interested! :)
IF THE PILOT PROGRAM WAS IN AUSTRALIA TOO D:

Djhg2000

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Chipi[/nom]Sorry, but I call "bull" on this one.The human eye can't focus on objects that are extremely close. Try to hold your phone up close, like it was the lens of these "HUD Glasses". Can't see anything can you? Depending on how good one's vision is, around 10 to 20cms of distance are needed between the eye and the object/display. Otherwise the image will just be a blur.Not to mention the fact that viewing objects at a close range requires your ciliary muscles to contract. Doing this for a prolonged time is obviously not comfortable.[/citation]

Are you being sarcastic?
Surely you do know what a lens is, right?

hardcore_gamer

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
[citation][nom]dameon51[/nom]Also useful for keeping track of Elixer's and/or Ammo.[/citation]

I can use it to know how much ammo left in my GUN :D

G

Chipi: You do realize that glasses type view screens are not new? Vuzix has been making glasses (without the android) for years. Before that, there were al the VR headsets of the 90s. In fact, the sight system on the Apache helicopter, designed in the 1970s was closer than 10cm to the pilot's eye (without a lens).

__Miguel_

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]I'd be interested! IF THE PILOT PROGRAM WAS IN AUSTRALIA TOO D:[/citation]
Or in Portugal, in my case. I've been wondering just how long would it take for this kind of thing to hit the market for YEARS now.

Now, please do give us a 720p screen, and (not sure if possible, but it would be sweet) maybe tricking our eyes to superimpose the contents of both the HUD and glass sides (unless "it's not transparent" means you'll need tinted lenses, but it would still let you see through the one where the HUD is, in which case YAY!), so we can finally have Layar-like apps working as originally intended.

As for price... If they could replace my phone (currently sporting an original SGS), I'd probably go as high as I went with that phone (~€600, I usually buy them without a contract), but if not, less than that. I know it's a niche market, but if we're talking SGS-era specs (which has now trickled to about €250 or so, probably less), it would be a tough sell at that €600 price point, without phone capabilities. Though now that I think of it, it would be rather odd to have to put your tinted shades on, inside, to answer your phone... lol

For uses, the GPS with Layar-like overlays would be cool to have. Plus widgets with to-do lists, appointments, date and time right on my field of view (FB/Twitter feeds would probably be possible too, though I personally wouldn't use those). However, as noted earlier, if the shades actually need to be tinted, it severely limits the target audiences. One would look ridiculous wearing what essentially are sunglasses inside... Not to mention visibility would be severely impaired, even if you didn't look ridiculous, leading to added eye strain when working...

However, let's see how this one works out, shall we?

__Miguel_

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
[citation][nom]Pailin[/nom]glasses witha night vision overlay would be awsome ^^[/citation]
Agreed, but it would need an IR front-facing camera, or at least an IR-emitter (which shouldn't be too difficult, actually), because standard smartphone cameras are usually VERY bad dealing with low-light scenarios. And you'd probably need special camera software to deal with the IR lighting properly, which might be a time-consumer effort.

Now, another thing that crossed my mind: how exactly are those glasses going to be powered? ARM is low-power, but you still need batteries... And the prospect of lugging around heavy batteries on my ears is not really a good one. Maybe a tiny generator, like some watches have, to keep the battery size small?

Status
Not open for further replies.