Got hacked, how do i restore to factory settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

fresh92704

Commendable
Aug 1, 2016
I did my first build this year and I got hacked last week. My computer is glitching unable to use microsoft and other programs. I want to start from scratch, Since im doing that I would like to set up OS on the SSD instead of the HHD.

this time around after its all said and done i will save the pc to an early point. SinceI have no saved earlier point.

So How do restore this computer
Windows 10
Asus X99
Gigabyte 980

manv

Estimable
Apr 17, 2015
Think you have been hacked? Then dont wait and do a clean install of windows formatting every single data partition on you drive.
That is the best way you can protect yourself . Also run a good Internet security software like AVG/Kaspersky/Avast etc with a good firewall.

fresh92704

Commendable
Aug 1, 2016
Dom if I do a facotry reset of just microsoft, would it fix everything? I dont have a disk since it was just a code I entered.

Manv I have Norton Antivirus but it seems like it doesnt recognize the hack since I run the scan and it doesnt find anything

manv

Estimable
Apr 17, 2015
Well you can download the iso file from microsoft itself as you have the original key you can activate windows later after clean install.
Download link:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10ISO
Choose your exact version.
Do a clean install and I mean wipe your HDD,SSD clean not just factory reset(backup any import data only).
Then run an internet security and not just an antivirus(the free stuff) get a paid license of a good Internet security.

fresh92704

Commendable
Aug 1, 2016
Ok just to make sure so i dont screw up.
How would i do a clean install, how would I wipe everything and start from scratch. since i do want to load the OS to the SSD instead of the HDD

is this something I do from the BIOS. I have already copied the files I needed

Thanks for your help

fresh92704

Commendable
Aug 1, 2016
ok so I deleted everything, loaded windows 10 but I didnt clean my drives correctly since when I added windows 10 it didnt give me option to use SSD. how would i clear out my HHD and SSD

manv

Estimable
Apr 17, 2015
When you are custom installing windows there will be an option showing you all the disks available on your PC
In that window there will be something like show advanced tools or something.
You will find all options including deleting and formatting partitions.
Your SSD will not be labelled as SSD instead it will show you the disk number only and also the name of the drive such as WDxysekjfd etc if it is a WD harddisk etc. You have to carefully identify which is your SSD from the name given and the size.
Hope it was helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.