gotta get me some good headphones

heavymetal2000

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012
OK, so. I'm looking to upgrade from my tritton headset. I got it for a great price, but ultimately it's heavy on my head and more then 1 hour of use results in a sore noggin.
It's not as snug on my ears as I'd like either.

I have an older pair of senheiser HD 201 phones that I prefer but I'd like to upgrade on a budget if it's possible.

What I would like is.
Headphones that will give me better sound d then my current hd201

Preferably with an in line mic on the cord as it'll be for music, gaming, phone if necessary on calls, and guitar.

No interest in beam style mics unless there removable and do not drive up the price, or result in a poorer headphone quality.

Ideally I'd like something classy and clean. I'll pass on the pink blue etc. Monster and beats phones.

Good sounding, good looking, under 150 can $.

Lmk what yous think.

Jester Maroc

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013
It depends on what kind of sound you are looking for and the type of games you play. "Good sounding" is a very subjective term.

If you play FPS games then you will want something with a lot of precision and sound-stage to provide you with good directional awareness. Open headsets are the best for this.

Why not look at this reddit guide, it is IMO the best guide for headsets: https://www.reddit.com/r/Zeos/comments/3tu9gl/guide_headphones_gaming/

R_1

Estimable
Herald
I'm going to give you the same advice I give people asking about keyboard and monitors.
go out and try some headsets. Go to a store, try them out, bring your own audio source so you know how they will sound on your equipment. everyone's ears and eyes are different. what works for me (Xiberia E1) may not be for you. it is a very personal decision. you will get suggestions but try them before you buy them.

heavymetal2000

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012
I'd love to try them, but most places anywhere near me either refuse to remove items from the box, or have such a shitty stock it's tough to really try.

But there is probably a retailer or 2 that might.

I'll read through the guide for sure.

I mostly play open world rpg stuff like skyrim, new Vegas, bit of far cry. And older games.
I listen to music on my phone quite often and I also use my headphones for playing guitar.

Most important would just be something that offers a great clear sound, with good bass that isn't over the top.

Jester Maroc

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013
For your $150 I believe the Audio-Technica to be the best buy. I own a pair and can tell you they are incredible. They are perfect for listening to music and have great precision and detail. Just know this, you will very clearly hear any imperfections in the music. Great for gaming as they have phenomenal sound stage. They will definitely bring your Skyrim and Far Cry to life!
https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-AD700X-Audiophile-Headphones/dp/B009S332TQ

You can then add this mic if you need to communicate with teamates:
https://www.amazon.com/Antlion-Audio-ModMic-Attachable-Microphone/dp/B00R98JVVU

heavymetal2000

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012
There not close to the 150 mark in canada.
There minimum atm 184 +13% hst and shipping here unfortunately.

Is there a lower model of that brand that's still very impressive?

Must be in canada.

heavymetal2000

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012
I'll check out the video at home, no WiFi at work.
Those 500x don't come for less then about 180 +taxes.
If I honestly could I'd want under 150 with taxes but for a great deal I'd squeeze a bit more for a pair.

Double checked my ones at home, there actually senheiser HD 205's.
The sound quality isn't bad at all, and there not bad comfort wise for on ear phones.
But I think I'm leaning more towards an over ear open style pair for gaming and guitar mostly.
The hd205s are not that good for cell phone use though. I find my galaxy s6 can't get them all that loud. Not sure why tbh.