Government Wants a Social Media Data Mining Toolset

Status
Not open for further replies.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
A should be careful of what I post on this thread....

jokes aside this could be both good and bad.

sadly the bad might outweigh the good.

greatsaltedone

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
I meant to say "if you dont want everyone to know about your business"

But law enforcement absolutely has business snooping around. We expect police to be able to recognize crimes in action including conspiracy.

IMO the danger comes from how they record this information. If they are creating a relational database of everyone's interactions with each other then yeah, that goes way beyond their charge. I seriously doubt this is the case, however.

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Quite happy for them to scan publicly available data (lots of facebook and twitter).

But private data, no.

My conversations are not normally monitored, and it should not change, just because I'm on the net.

Not to mention, the likelyhood of the US using this beyond their stated scope is huge.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
You mean, they don't ALREADY have a toolset to data mine these sources? Or are they waiting for approval and then, magically, they will have a toolset developed and ready for deployment within a couple of weeks?

kanoobie

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
"processing more data than humans can even chip at."

"The application must have the ability to rapidly assemble critical open source information and intelligence that will allow [the FBI's Strategic Information and Operations Center] to quickly vet, identity and geo-locate [potential threats to the U.S.]," the FBI states.

Please don't call it Skynet...

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]coldmast[/nom]Type F-bomb, hit enter, now you are on government watch list.[/citation]
Which means, you are already on the watch list.

RipperjackAU

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
processing more data than humans can even chip at.

Speaking of chips, with all this nonsense with data mining tools, just cut to the chase FFS!!! Just get the military to round up all the people in the US, extract bank account details to empty their accounts, install mind-control chips so the populace won't rise up against it, and then act like Blizzard executive staff and roll around in the excess green.

RipperjackAU

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]garyshome[/nom]Just remember that you are not guilty until you have comitted a crime! Welcome to the New Order[/citation]

Guilty until proven innocent, you mean?

RipperjackAU

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]Kanoobie[/nom]Please don't call it Skynet...[/citation]

YES! Turn it on, send in the machines and put us out of our modern day misery!

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
if RON PAUL was president this crap would not happen....i am so tired of the government policing everyone....ffs, this has to end

Status
Not open for further replies.