GPU through CD sata port

Dec 14, 2018
I got a new Lenovo 130 recently, and noticed that the sata plug for the CD drive is pretty accessible once removed. I'm thinking there's a way to convert that to PCIE to run a low powered GPU but can't find anything to get a base built on. Any suggestions?

Some basic research I've as to if this CAN even work; PCIE 2.0 runs at about 5gbs and sata can run to about 6gbs, so running something like a gtx1050 or a gt1030's could work with minimal bottle necking. My only concern would be if the 2 interfaces are even compatible, and if i COULD run a GPU over a sata bus.

Power draw being the next issue, ifm I cant get enough power over sata alone with these cards, then another low clock card like a 750TI and make a janky power supply with a laptop power brink with a molex would work as well.

Solution
You can't convert SATA to PCI-E. Primarily because SATA ports have a controller that is on the PCI-E bus, and can't bypass it. If there is a wireless network card in the laptop you can use that PCI-E mini slot, but there is absolutely no way to use a SATA port.

justin.m.beauvais

Prominent
Dec 15, 2017
You can't convert SATA to PCI-E. Primarily because SATA ports have a controller that is on the PCI-E bus, and can't bypass it. If there is a wireless network card in the laptop you can use that PCI-E mini slot, but there is absolutely no way to use a SATA port.

Solution
Dec 14, 2018

That was my fear, a shame that even budget laptops only have a single pcie port. Related to the question, how much wattage you figure cna come out of that port? I imagine not much but maybe 50watt or so?

justin.m.beauvais

Prominent
Dec 15, 2017
Even less than that. However, there are kits that run a ribbon cable to that port, have a full sized PCI-E slot, and have connections to power them. I forget what they are called though, but it should be easy enough to find if you google something like cheap external gpu.

Dec 14, 2018

i think i know what you're talking about, its on one of those sketchy Chinese sites.
Thanks for the quick replies my friend!