I have a Dell e1705, about 2years old.
When i connect the charger just to a power socket
the green light on the charger comes on but when i plug the
the other end into the laptop the green light on the charger
goes off, I have taken the battery off the laptop and it still
does the same thing, and under both conditions the laptop will not
power up and no lights appear on it.
The only way i can get the light back on the charger is to unplug from
the laptop and wall socket and then just plug it back into the wall socket and the light appears.

I had recently put in a new videocard that i had to order from ebay since my old one died and the computer worked perfect for about a day....now this happened

Help!

frozenlead

Distinguished
It sounds like your board is shorting out the PSU. Are you sure your power jack on your motherboard is undamaged? Are you sure that the GPU you replaced is not shorting against the chassis ground?

A good way to test this is to "breadboard" the notebook - completely remove the motherboard from it's case and power it up using an external monitor and keyboard.

turini

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
Ok i dont think that is going to happen...but it must have been something i damaged after putting the new card in because it was working fine afterwords for a few hours...Can you take the processor out of a Laptop Mobo?...not sure what my options are. How could it just short out randomly? Im not sure what to do it has frustrated me enough

frozenlead

Distinguished
Like I said, you need to breadboard the unit. Perhaps you installed the card incorrectly or seated it wrong, or while doing so dislodged something else..or even put a wrong screw somewhere, causing a short. The only way to take out all of those variables is to remove the casing from the notebook and reseat the card.

You can take the processor out of a notebook. I'm not sure why you would want to, in this case, though. It won't help you any.

thirdshopping

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012
1) take the battery out of your laptop and the laptop charger
2) plug your laptop charger in your laptop without the battery in it,
3) Try to turn it on the normal way:
If it turns on, then your battery has gone, (Its drained and run out of use like all batteries do)
if it stays off then its a charger problem
You would want to hope its a charger problem as they are cheap and easily replaceable
Hope i helped
I guess its a charger problem because its not turning on and the laptop automatically would use the charger as a main power supply if the battery doesn't work
and oh by the way
If the battery isn't in it, your laptop will act as a pc whereas if you plug the charger in it will work, but if you take it out while the laptop is on then it will go off instantly without a successful shutdown which could mean a loss of work

Jay139

Commendable
Mar 30, 2016

I have exactly the same problem I removed the mobo from the case tried to power it up and it happened again the green light of the power adapter went off.
I tested the power adapter too it shows the correct voltage.
any suggestions?

Doma

Commendable
May 3, 2016
I am having the exact same problem now too! The laptop just ran out of warranty so Dell won't even look at it. I think its the protection diode on the power portion of the board that has failed and is shorting out. Anyone managed to fix the problem?

Cheers,

AdePT_Dell_User

Commendable
Oct 20, 2016
I hope it's been sorted now but, I had the same thing happen to mine, it turned out that replacing the power supply with a replacement worked, my laptop is a Dell Inspiron 9400 (UK) E1705 (US), it wasn't all that expensive and I saved myself a lot of money and time by just plugging it into a wall socket, or wherever, by itself, if it replicates the fault then it could be one of the cables, but most likely, and in my case, it was the main part of the unit.
It cost me about just under £8, happy days :)

Status
Not open for further replies.