gtx 1080 vs 1070 vs 1060 in vr

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

comanzo

Commendable
Jun 18, 2016
So I am still lost in terms of what GPU I desire. I know for regular gaming, the gtx 1060 wins in terms of price to performance. That is solely what I am looking for in VR as well, the best price to performance. Price honestly doesn't bother me as I can afford all three of them. However, I would rather spend money on other things (such as games,etc.), and feel like I got more value for it, rather than getting a gtx 1080 and regretting I spent so much money. Now, I have been looking all over the web for benchmarks of VR comparing these three cards, only to not find much.

I have heard claims that the performance difference between gtx 1070/80 in vr are the same as in regular gaming (about 20-25%), while others have said it's a huge difference due to the different architecture of the gtx 1080, as well as it's GDDR5X and high bandwidth memory. Some websites claim that if you go into vr, it can definitely become the best bang for your buck gpu as it offers performance like no other.

So my question is, is it also a performance difference of 20-25% between gtx 1080 and 1070 like in regular gaming, or is it much better? If it's the same, then honestly, I don't think that justifies the 45-55% increase in price. How about between the 1070 and the 1060? Do they also have the same performance difference like in regular gaming? I game in a 1440p 144hz monitor if that helps provide a more accurate answer for what GPU I should get. I appreciate any help on this matter as I just started pc gaming, and need help badly. Thanks in advance.

Solution
If you plan to upgrade fairly soon to a 1080 ti (when released) then get the 1060, not the 1070, you wont take as much of a hit in resale price (if you flog the old card to pay for the new)

If you dont plan to upgrade again in the near future I would go for the 1080, but not a "Founders Edition". If you arent happy dropping that much on a single component, get the 1070, you certainly wont be disappointed in its performance.

Sakkura

Distinguished

Yes, AMD has multi-GPU in their LiquidVR SDK. They just aren't calling it Crossfire, because it is completely different. Nvidia is potentially confusing some people with the VR SLI name, despite it being completely different from SLI.

Neither VR SLI nor AMD's LiquidVR multi-GPU is supported by many games so far. In fact I haven't heard of any. The Unreal engine did add support recently, but then games need to be built on top of that.

ryudoadema

Commendable
Jan 15, 2017
For the original question, and to refute several answers that said performance gains stop at the resolution of the headset- this is not true. SuperSampling really increases the perceived clarity/resolution of the headsets and right now the ceiling for this cannot be met by any current graphics card. I can set SS to 1.3 or 1.4 in most games with a gtx 1070. Setting it higher I can see how better everything looks, but the framerate drops to crap. I've read that 1.5-1.7 is about what the 1080 can normally hit. So there is definitely increases in performance (well really just graphical fidelity) with the 1080 or above. It's really just a matter of how much these increases are worth it to you. I can say I've gotten stuck chasing the next best, and have been considering a 1080 or 1080ti when it comes out for a while now, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS