GTX 960M 2GB vs 4GB

LordovCZ

Commendable
Jul 7, 2016
Hello, I finally found a perfect notebook for me. It has GTX 960M. But it only has 2GB of VRAM. So here comes my question: Is 2GB of VRAM enough for mid-range gaming laptop in 1080p? 2GB version is in my country much cheaper than 4GB. It's Lenovo Ideapad Y700-15ISK with i5-6300HQ 2,3GHz, 8GB of RAM and as said in the title GTX 960M 2GB. For example Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor can this notebook run in high-ultra at 30FPS, but at this settings the game uses much more than 2GB of VRAM. I am not the type of player who needs everything at ultra. I want to keep this laptop for 3-4 years. Thank you for your opinion.

Solution
2GB is fine for playing games at 1080p with very high quality textures for the vast majority of games.

4GB is preferred if you want to use ultra high quality textures. Games that allow you to install graphic mods like Skyrim can benefit from 4GB+ of VRAM. For example, there are a few custom ultra high quality texture mods with really large texture file sizes than can use up to 6GB of VRAM.
2GB is fine for playing games at 1080p with very high quality textures for the vast majority of games.

4GB is preferred if you want to use ultra high quality textures. Games that allow you to install graphic mods like Skyrim can benefit from 4GB+ of VRAM. For example, there are a few custom ultra high quality texture mods with really large texture file sizes than can use up to 6GB of VRAM.

Solution