GTX 980M 4GB vs. 8GB, why the FPS difference?

comprocks

Estimable
Mar 20, 2014
Hello everyone,
Please refer to this link:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-980M.126692.0.html

Notebook Check shows a difference in FPS in all games between the 4GB and the 8GB version of the GTX 980M
This can be seen when you click the FPS shown, it will expand and show you whether it is using the 4GB version (4096MB) or the 8GB version (8192MB). If you need more info refer to these pictures:
Original: http://postimg.cc/image/d5bccfdmd/
Expanded: http://postimg.cc/image/ch2hthewl/

My question is: If the only difference between the two cards is their memory, and 4GB is enough for 1080p, why is there a difference in the FPS in the two versions?

Solution
Its not just that it is soldered on, it is also running at less performance, uses less power (though this has nothing to do with being soldered on) and has less VRAM and a few other goodies and functions have been removed to keep it mediocre and low-end. The CPU is the same. (though perhaps much less to it, then a GPU has)

Its like saying the consumer car just has a smaller engine then the sportscar. its more then that, its all the performance parts too, etc..

Damn_Rookie

Estimable
Feb 21, 2014
In addition to what Alpha3031 mentioned above about the CPU difference, which I agree would likely make a difference in performance, the Nvidia drivers are also different. The 4GB machine is using the 344.48 driver, which is not optimized for Far Cry 4. The "game ready" driver for Far Cry 4 was 344.75, so the 8GB machine, with its 344.91 driver is benefiting from those optimizations.

As an aside: a laptop equipped with a desktop 4790K!? :ouch: That's some serious laptop!

Alpha3031

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013

The 4790k turbos to 4.4 GHz. Plus its got a 88W TDP over the 47W one of the mobile chip. 4.4 is 25% more than 3.5, by the way.

Desktop Chip VS Mobile Chip is also why Mac Pros exist. (hint: iMac GPU)

comprocks

Estimable
Mar 20, 2014

Can a GPU really benefit that much from a driver update (20+ FPS)? And, its not just for that game only. If you see, all other games have that FPS difference too. Some games even have it for the same card (Both versions being 8GB, there is a difference in FPS)

P.S: So far, I have come across 3 laptops having desktop processors:
1. One K73-5N (Clevo P771ZM)
2. Origin EON15-X
3. Origin EON17-X

comprocks

Estimable
Mar 20, 2014

Fair point. So, what you are saying is, if I happen to buy a laptop with a 4710HQ (maybe an Alienware 15, for example), it will bottleneck the 980M?

Woodzstack

Estimable
Sep 11, 2015
I can't take it, you guys don't know what your talking about. The 4gb 980M is a sodlered on garbage with roughly 40% of its cache disabled/removed as well as being limitted by other specifications following it being soldered on. The true 980M are the cards I sell, which have 8GB and are MXM 3.0B form factor cards with proper 70% ASIC quality and thier full cache. Now - that in mind, the 4710HQ is about 5 years behind in terms of performance.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-4710HQ-vs-Intel-Core-i7-3940XM compare this to my laptop from 3 years ago's cpu.

Woodzstack

Estimable
Sep 11, 2015

The only 4 GB 980M are different. They are weaker. They should have been called something like 965M instead. They are soldered on, and have less of a few other things.

The only 8GB version I know are the ones you can remove, like what you would find in a Clevo , these are fast. You wouldn't find that with a 4710HQ, because thats a soldered on cpu too...

Its not JUST the cpu basically.

Oh I get your point. So check me if i'm wrong:

1. 4GB 980Ms are soldered to the motherboard and are only equipped in laptops with mobile i7 quad cores.
2. 8GB 980Ms are XMX graphics cards and you see them in laptops like ORIGIN PC which packs desktop CPUs.

comprocks

Estimable
Mar 20, 2014

I think what Woodzstack means is:
4GB 980M is a card that is soldered onto the motherboard and so, it comes with a soldered (non-removable) CPU.
The 8GB 980M, on the other hand, is MXM (removable) so, it comes with laptops that have removable CPUs.

I'm not 100% sure but I think I that is what he meant by his post.

Woodzstack

Estimable
Sep 11, 2015
Its not just that it is soldered on, it is also running at less performance, uses less power (though this has nothing to do with being soldered on) and has less VRAM and a few other goodies and functions have been removed to keep it mediocre and low-end. The CPU is the same. (though perhaps much less to it, then a GPU has)

Its like saying the consumer car just has a smaller engine then the sportscar. its more then that, its all the performance parts too, etc..

Solution