Hacker Cracks GSM Cell Phone 64-bit Encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

this will lead to a new verizon vs att commercial i just know it

G

and at&T is gsm... verizon is CDMA...

want to be hacked.. theres an app for that..

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
[citation][nom]hakesterman[/nom]All Comunication devices can be hacked, if you don't believe me contact the United States Military or the FBI, they do it all the time.[/citation]
Yup. All consumer grade encryptions can be hacked given enough time and resources.

PS: With the advances in using GPUs to do calculations (ie CUDA/OpenCL,etc) it's quite possible to do a brute force attack cheaply now.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]njkid3[/nom]this will lead to a new verizon vs att commercial i just know it[/citation]

Yeah, I can see it now...

The verizon guy is sporting an ATT phone, saying "can you hear me now?"

A hundred guys with headphones and HAM antennas on their computers go "yep!" in unison.

Not that this should be a jab; I am sure CDMA is no more inherently advanced, it's merely got the Apple Effect going for it... less users means less of a target.

Wow, which band of fanbois will come after me first? I think this post won't be complete with out a "OMG the WII SUX IT HAZ NO 1080Pzzz!!!!!1".

There. I feel better.

Nisken

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
Not very well informed article. GSM is not even 64bits encryption but 56bits key, with, and here is the sensation.... the 16highbits are all zeroes always... so the encryption key is really only 40bits to solve, That has been done realtime för the last 10-12 years or so... Security is like airports, only for show...

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Screw all cellphone service providers, it's becuase of the people who just text or use the internet why my phone calls are just adequate compared to a land line. Because not enough people complain about the sound quality of their calls it's not high on the priority list, other crap that makes you're cell phone more like a computer the and more like something you have to really worry about if it gets lost or stolen.

randomizer

Distinguished
It took 21 years for someone to crack the encryption and then publish this? That's pretty poor, those crackers need to work harder.

I guess my 9-year-old Nokia 3310 is no longer secure. Whatever will I do now that people can listen in on my conversation about what we're having for dinner the following night?

byebye

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
"It took 21 years for someone to crack the encryption"
that is incorrect..
it took 18 year for it to be cracked(easily)...
it was at(and demonstrated) at the black hat conference 3 years ago.
took about 10 seconds to crack

necronic

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Uhm, that's not how you alert people of serious security flaws. Tell them they exist, demonstrate your hack, but do NOT reveal the flawed code to the public like that, as you basically create the situation you think needs to be prevented, even if it is temporary.

And this isn't a small security issue, this is huge.

I kind of think he should be arrested for this.

randomizer

Distinguished
[citation][nom]byebye[/nom]"It took 21 years for someone to crack the encryption"that is incorrect..it took 18 year for it to be cracked(easily)...[/citation]
Right, and 18 years is a short period of time?

Status
Not open for further replies.