Hacker Keeps Linux Alive on PlayStation 3 FW 3.21

Status
Not open for further replies.

ukcal

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
"Video embedded below for those of you who can't be bothered to click through to YouTube."

Is it just me, or does that come across as unnecessary and rude?

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]ukcal[/nom]"Video embedded below for those of you who can't be bothered to click through to YouTube."Is it just me, or does that come across as unnecessary and rude?[/citation]

I embedded the video because the majority of people don't bother to click on external links. Wasn't my intention to offend, just trying to be helpful.

ukcal

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
Yes, my point merely was that writing "for those of you who can't be bothered" is not very professional, even if you are being helpful.

ominous prime

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
[citation][nom]ukcal[/nom]Yes, my point merely was that writing "for those of you who can't be bothered" is not very professional, even if you are being helpful.[/citation]

Bleh, you're not very professional Ukcal. There's nothing offensive/unprofessional about that statement. It's a matter of perception, you were looking for it, therefore you found it. Even though it wasn't really there at all..

Now on topic, I'm still rather suprised that Sony would disable the feature in an update. Hopefully they will realize their mistake and reimplement it at some point, but until that day comes I'm glad we have people working around this nonsense.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]ominous prime[/nom]I'm still rather suprised that Sony would disable the feature in an update. Hopefully they will realize their mistake and reimplement it at some point, but until that day comes I'm glad we have people working around this nonsense.[/citation]I suspect it was because of pressure from both software developers and movie companies due to the DRM exploit. It wasn't a core feature of the platform so they could afford to remove it and probably knew that the hackers would find a way around it. This allows Sony to redirect blame for further DRM exploits on "those hackers". This also makes PS3 owners who hack their way into running Linux on it more "L33T", possibly increasing appeal.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]I embedded the video because the majority of people don't bother to click on external links. Wasn't my intention to offend, just trying to be helpful.[/citation]

Don't mind him, you were helpful ^_^

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
PS3: It only does now what it did before that firmware update that made it do less than it did.

That should be their slogan.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]I embedded the video because the majority of people don't bother to click on external links. Wasn't my intention to offend, just trying to be helpful.[/citation]

Don't worry bout it, being lazy is fun. Thanks.

Brent_NC

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
I know this is off topic but I think I missed something. How is embedding the video unnecessary and rude? Have I missed some sort of web etiquette class or something?

What am I missing here?

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]Brent_NC[/nom]I know this is off topic but I think I missed something. How is embedding the video unnecessary and rude? Have I missed some sort of web etiquette class or something?What am I missing here?[/citation]

He's of the opinion that my saying "those of you who can't be bothered to click through" was unnecessary and rude.

urlsen

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2007

Jane you are the best ever :)let no one get you down or make you do anything different..

Stay proud

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]anonymous EE[/nom]urlsen, you need to get out more and leave your machine.[/citation]

Just because he says nice things doesn't mean he doesn't leave the house!

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
"Note to the people who removed OtherOS, you are potentially turning 100000+ legit users into "hackers." There was a huge(20x) traffic spike to this blog after the announcement of 3.21. If I had ads on this site I guess I'd be thanking you."

That gave me a chuckle.

Status
Not open for further replies.