Hackers Paying $32K for Obsolete Nokias

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
Someone also paid $10,000+ for a used notebook on eBay and it doesn't mean a thing. It is just one scammer managed to beat another scammer to the notebook. (Ever wondered why scammer always won at auctions?)

gamerjames

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
“The 1100 can apparently be reprogrammed to use someone else's phone number, which would also let the device receive text messages. That capability opens up an opportunity for online banking fraud.”

$30,000 dollars for an "opportunity" for online banking fraud is a dumb investment on the criminals part, IMO :p

interesting anyway lol

A Stoner

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
I wonder if any of the 5,000,000,000 phones my wife has bought in the last few years is one of these.... $30,000, sweet!!!!

A Stoner

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
[citation][nom]UnlicensedHitman[/nom]You know what I could buy with $30,0000. A NEW CORE i7 EXTREME PC with GTX 295 in quad SLI and a 22" 2ms moniter![/citation]
You had me interested until you hit the 22" monitor. WTF is the point of all the horse power if you can only drive it at 22" and crappy resolutions?

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
I love how you guys jumped right over the whole "assisting organised crime" thing and headed straight for detailing what you'd spend the dirty cash on. Your class truly knows no bounds. :p

hillarymakesmecry

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
I'd sell it in a hearbeat. I'm going to go look in my old phone box and see if I've got one.

Built in flashlights should be a feature of EVERY phone. I loved the NEC phone I had with one. I was ridiculously bright. Now with my dare I have to start a stupid video to get the light to come on.

For the phone developers out there. PLEASE PUT A FLASHLIGHT ON YOUR PHONES!

TheCapulet

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]I love how you guys jumped right over the whole "assisting organised crime" thing and headed straight for detailing what you'd spend the dirty cash on. Your class truly knows no bounds.[/citation]
*shrugs* Hey, nokia insists there's no way for these phones to be used for criminal activities. So why not? :p

greenskye

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]I love how you guys jumped right over the whole "assisting organised crime" thing and headed straight for detailing what you'd spend the dirty cash on. Your class truly knows no bounds.[/citation]

They aren't assisting organized crime. They're scamming a bunch of dumb criminals that hope to get LUCKY with bank fraud. I don't think you can use the word "organized" to refer to these people.

AdamB5000

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]My father has one of these cellphones that he doesn't use anymore. But I certainly don't plan on selling it to criminals no matter how much is offered.[/citation]

Find out if you can reach a buy-out with a major phone company or the IRS. Yay!

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
I have 4 Nokia 1100's. I love them to death. They are practically unbreakable. The different colored faces have made it easy to distinguish them within my family. I find the flaslight indepsensible, and the 1100 has proven to be by far the best alarm clock I have ever owned. The battery life is absolutely unmatched, and with my Net10 service, I never worry about roaming, and have almost no dead-zones. The thing is almost too powerful, in that my radio gets overloaded whenever I make or receive a call.

It would not suprise me 1 bit if someone figured out how to easily use these for crime.

But I would also gladly sell all 4 of my 1100's for the right price ;)

G

Don't sell it, they can use it to commit banking fraud and steal their money back! :p
They are not stupid, y'know ;)

G

Maybe terrorists have devised a way to use these phones to take down a plane. Is there anything special about the internals of this phone as opposed to other cell phones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS