Hackers Prevail: PS3 Jailbreakable Once Again

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pandemonium_ctp

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
Hackers will always find a way. The problem I think developers have is they're stuck in a box mindset, where-as hackers don't: they know that box and can get around it all that much easier.

It seemed like you got 'thumbed down' into oblivion there...

Ya, people here don't realize that the vote down is for non-related posts, not because they don't like what they're reading; even though it's very relevant. Tom's needs to just remove the vote down. Period.

I'm so sorry you don't like the truth. - Me, after being voted down.

pandemonium_ctp

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
[citation][nom]carlhenry[/nom]just what exactly do you use then? consoles are made entirely for entertainment. i remember playing a famicom with my family when i was a kid, and i think those are priceless. people may blabber that consoles graphics suck, its expensive, worthless and all, but consoles are not as evil as these people think. and, if your talking about PC's "freedom" you're not talking about piracy do you?? i love both pc and console gaming (actually i don't own a console right now) but its getting pretty annoying when people always talk that consoles are worthless piece of crap just to look cool (or maybe they can't afford it?).[/citation]

I completely agree with chaoski. If you want freedom, don't buy a console. Don't support their cause of holding you to the trend.

I haven't purchased a console since the all mighty Dreamcast failed (in it's life of like, 3 months). My PSX was modded to play copied games. Since then, I've pretty much been PC only. If a game I'm really interested in is not on PC, then I'm sad they didn't port it, but I'm not about to spend money on a system that can do less than something I already have. It's like having a home telephone when you have a cellular phone. Or a fax machine when you can e-mail. Why, exactly?

I grew up on playing the NES and consoles, so for me, the nostalgia is there. However, once I got on the computer and saw the limitless capabilities, I no longer had a need to buy console.

Being reasonable has nothing to do with not being able to afford it; that's just a poor attempt at insult.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Sony should learn a thing or two from Apple and their failed war against jailbreaking. Perhaps embrace it to a limited extent instead of fighting a losing war.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]chaoski[/nom]How about not buying consoles to begin with. Every time ANYONE buys a console they basically support these companies and tell them to make MORE stuff that LIMITS the user and forces them to buy MORE of that companies products.Xbo/MS, PS/Sony and Apple are all known for that. That's the reason I simply don't buy ANY of their products.LACK OF FREEDOM[/citation]
Most people buy consoles because they're much cheaper than buying a cheap gaming pc. Then since the hardware of the console is basically the same during it's lifespan people don't have to worry about upgrades to play new games. The maximum that can happen to them is buy an accessory for certain games.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]Harmonious_Dissident[/nom]I suspect that the next major method of intrusion prevention will be a fully digital software distribution environment, zero non-proprietary peripheral support, and I suspect that it will still not be enough.[/citation]

So basically the PS3 is going to turn into a giant iPhone?

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]rmmil978[/nom]Remove linux support to stop hacking? LOL, yeah right. Hackers always find a way. All you do is create new challenges, making them BETTER hackers![/citation]
You are VERY VERY VERY wrong on this one. The only reason PS3 is now hacked is because they LET Linux in once.

Decap1tator

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Or how about people buy console's because they enjoy the experience. I have all current gen consoles, and the only one I don't ever play is the Wii. I'm a PC guy by trade, but more recently, I'd rather pick up a controller and play in front of the big screen, than sit in front of my desk.

I don't understand why there is such a flame war between console and PC, but it's getting old. I've been a reader here for a good number of years, and It's pretty pathetic that year after year, PC gamers talk down on consoles for any number of reasons.

spunkymunky

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
I never felt the want or need to hack the PS3 though I recently experienced this new Cinavia DRM since I stream movies throughout the house instead of ruining disks. If jailbreaking prevents the damn thing from recognizing however Cinavia works I'm all for it.

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
gess ill need to get me a psp agen soon, the console prise is down and the hack makes it tasty, but it still dosent play games in 1080p so untill they do whit 2x anti im gonna stay to my comp.

chaoski

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
[citation][nom]carlhenry[/nom]just what exactly do you use then? consoles are made entirely for entertainment. i remember playing a famicom with my family when i was a kid, and i think those are priceless. people may blabber that consoles graphics suck, its expensive, worthless and all, but consoles are not as evil as these people think. and, if your talking about PC's "freedom" you're not talking about piracy do you?? i love both pc and console gaming (actually i don't own a console right now) but its getting pretty annoying when people always talk that consoles are worthless piece of crap just to look cool (or maybe they can't afford it?).[/citation]

PC provides everything you want and nothing you don't want.

Continue to support consoles and freedom will diminish and even MORE "limited" will be the name of the game. Mark my words.

[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]Most people buy consoles because they're much cheaper than buying a cheap gaming pc. Then since the hardware of the console is basically the same during it's lifespan people don't have to worry about upgrades to play new games. The maximum that can happen to them is buy an accessory for certain games.[/citation]

They are NOT cheaper.

Most people already have PCs. Video card that is equvelant to Xbox/PS3 is about 30 bucks. For $150 you can get a GREAT video card that will blow away ANYTHING Console can do and some.

Games are also less expensive and unlike Xbox there is no monthly fees to play.

chaoski

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
[citation][nom]Decap1tator[/nom]Or how about people buy console's because they enjoy the experience. I have all current gen consoles, and the only one I don't ever play is the Wii. I'm a PC guy by trade, but more recently, I'd rather pick up a controller and play in front of the big screen, than sit in front of my desk. I don't understand why there is such a flame war between console and PC, but it's getting old. I've been a reader here for a good number of years, and It's pretty pathetic that year after year, PC gamers talk down on consoles for any number of reasons.[/citation]

You can hook up 360 controller to PC and also hook up your PC to you big screen.

It's not PC gamers that talk Consoles down....it's people with common sense that want limitless experience.

What kind of a "PC" guy buys consoles......lmao, WOW

thillntn

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]You are VERY VERY VERY wrong on this one. The only reason PS3 is now hacked is because they LET Linux in once.[/citation]
Do a little more research. The data obtained in Linux is encrypted... Not very usable. The jailbreak device wasn't built off Linux, it was built off one of $ony's repair center dongles. A bunch of fanboi's want to keep saying "Linux is the devil" well guess what? If Linux was the issue what is going to happen if google tv runs android on the console? ROOTED that's what! $ony knew it was a matter of time before the Rsx had access in Linux , so they hit a fly with a hammer. I for one am smiling at the latest developments. While I don't condone piracy, I'm all for downgrading to 3.15 ( since I bought these to cluster, and can't )

G

"kithkarnon

It shows that whoever wrote this article does not really have a clue what is going on, they make it sound like they have cracked the current O/S. It is only a half win for the hackers. The current firmware is still secure as the dongle does not work with 3.42 and above. However they have found a way to downgrade the current O/S to a version that is 3.41 and lower. This does enable people who want to use the dongle to use the dongle, but they lose access to the PSN. The exact same situation that people who were/are using the dongle now have to accept. All this might force Sony to do is for new games to require 3.50. Will people be able to play games that don't require 3.50, yes, but not new games. This is no different than where M/S is at with their current dashboard. Any game using the AP2.5 does not work as a backup with the new dash. Expect Sony to do the same."

All old news, As of now

Ps3 with the latest Jailbreak payload can log on to the PSN.

A jtaged 360 can play every game on the latest kinect dash.

Been there done that

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]You are VERY VERY VERY wrong on this one. The only reason PS3 is now hacked is because they LET Linux in once.[/citation]
This hack has nothing to do with geohot's hack they, were achieved differently. The PSJailbreak wasn't achieved using linux but a developer console.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]chaoski[/nom]PC provides everything you want and nothing you don't want. Continue to support consoles and freedom will diminish and even MORE "limited" will be the name of the game. Mark my words.They are NOT cheaper.Most people already have PCs. Video card that is equvelant to Xbox/PS3 is about 30 bucks. For $150 you can get a GREAT video card that will blow away ANYTHING Console can do and some.Games are also less expensive and unlike Xbox there is no monthly fees to play.[/citation]
Funny because games on the PC are becoming more and more limited, like always on internet connection to play even if the game only works in single player and tons of other drm.

Please tell me of a 30 bucks GPU that can render a game with the same quality of a ps3. Also most people nowadays don't even use desktops, they use laptops. There are basically two groups of people that buys Desktops nowadays, the ones that want a powerfull machine or the ones that want a very cheap computer. The one that a powerful machine won't need a decent GPU because he most likelly has one but spent a lot more than a console. The one with a cheap computer, a decent GPU won't help him much because the rest of the computer is weak.

Show me a pc at a price of a console that can play a game with equivalent graphics and after 5 years is still able to play new games smoothly.

Then there's the ease of use of using a console. If I buy a new xbox360 game for instance and the same game for the pc, on the xbox360 it will take me one of two minutes to power up the console and launch the game. I'm already playing the game and the computer is still booting, then I have to install it and only then play it.

I have a PS3, XBOX360 a WII and a gaming pc. The money I spent on the pc was way more than any console. In fact the money I spent on all three consoles isn't even half the money I spent on the pc.

Status
Not open for further replies.