Haier vs LG at nursing home

John_282

Commendable
Mar 4, 2016
I gave my mother a LCD for her room, a Haier (which I understand is Chinese).

Last month her roommate got a new TV, an LG (which I understood to be SK).

The two remotes are apparently coded the same and each is controlling both TV's. Other than masking her remote sensor to make it a manual (and she's a little frail for than) I'm at a loss.

Solution

You are right to ignore, the vendor is not gonna guarantee you their remote won't interfere with another brand.

1. Return TV.
2. Try Americanaudiophile's solution.
3. Try a DIY solution, make a "flute" out of black thin cardboard, like you are trying to fashion a 2" long spigot and tape it in front of IR sensor, that way only IR that is directly in front it it will trigger. This may not work if lots of reflective room surface, very sensitive IR sensor and/or strong neighbor's transmitter.

John_282

Commendable
Mar 4, 2016

Both came with the TV's. I contacted Haier CS and they took it as an opportunity to collect marketing information, a long contact form I declined to fill out.

John_282

Commendable
Mar 4, 2016

Thanks for the suggestion but as I understand this it's intended to extend the Direct Tv or Cable box remote to change channels in another room. The nursing home room she is in has very limited space on the bureau where the TV is. It is also impossible to move the TV's location from where it's at.
I'd thought of getting a sound bar that blocks the IR and has it's own control, but above a certain price I might as well get her another TV.

You are right to ignore, the vendor is not gonna guarantee you their remote won't interfere with another brand.

1. Return TV.
2. Try Americanaudiophile's solution.
3. Try a DIY solution, make a "flute" out of black thin cardboard, like you are trying to fashion a 2" long spigot and tape it in front of IR sensor, that way only IR that is directly in front it it will trigger. This may not work if lots of reflective room surface, very sensitive IR sensor and/or strong neighbor's transmitter.

Solution