Hardware-Accelerated HTML5 Coming in IE9

Status
Not open for further replies.

aron311

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2006
I wouldn't really call Vista SP1 users out of luck, just download the service pack that you *should* have had anyway!

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
That sounds great. I just hope MS is not going to modified the HTML5 to their own version like they did with Sun's Java.

By the way... HTML5 vs Flash... which one you like it better?

crom

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
It will be interesting to see if IE9 will be 100% W3C complaint, as well as being able to render all of the various items above at 100% compliance. I do like the idea of hardware accelerated HTML5 and Javascript and how much faster it is vs other Javascript engines like Webkit.

warmon6

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]pharge[/nom]By the way... HTML5 vs Flash... which one you like it better?[/citation]

In my personal option, Html5 is much better than flash. On youtube, videos load much faster (sometimes instantly on short 2 mins and smaller videos). Also it doesn't use as much cpu power. Good for weaker cpu's like P4's

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Looking forward to it. Use Opera for most of my browsing needs but due to the MS dominance there are some sites mostly interactive that other browsers tend to have an issue with.

mianmian

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
Without FireFox and other browsers, I think we could be still in IE6 age. I do hope 3rd party browsers can prevent the domination of IE all the time. So that we can see new technology progresses like this often.

ColliSions

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
[citation][nom]warmon6[/nom]In my personal option, Html5 is much better than flash. On youtube, videos load much faster (sometimes instantly on short 2 mins and smaller videos). Also it doesn't use as much cpu power. Good for weaker cpu's like P4's[/citation]

Yeah and you think that comes free? The quality of html 5 looks like bullshit compared to flash, at least thats the way it looks on youtube when you compare them side by side

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
FINALLY.

I expect the uptake of this to be a little faster than IE7/8 too, since people must be getting more used to upgrades now.

But still; FINALLY.

G

This is going to be a big failure; IT staff around the world will be scrambling to install patches blocking the new javascript engine.

Arguggi

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
Well at least it looks like their trying, and if IE is competetive when it's released i'll be happy to try it.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Any word on MS changing its schedule for new browsers from every 2-3 years to maybe at least a yearly release? Now with stiff competition I would figure they would try and push IE9 out by the end of this year.

dameon51

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
[citation][nom]pharge[/nom]That sounds great. I just hope MS is not going to modified the HTML5 to their own version like they did with Sun's Java. By the way... HTML5 vs Flash... which one you like it better?[/citation]
I'd like to see HTML 5 gain some steam, but I'm worried about proprietary MS markup and JS. Right now it seems there is a divide between direct2d and cavas, and until this is resolved I think we're stuck with flash.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
while HTML 5 will grow in popularity, it will never replace flash.

There flash games but not really HTML 5 games, also while it will be easier to add hardware acceleration to HTML 5, it wont perform as well as flash in terms of quality.

flash has the ability to do an extensive amount of post processing on videos, which is why many flash videos look better than HTML 5 videos.

adobe needs to work on improving hardware acceleration in flash, and even add CUDA and BROOK support so the post processing and all of the other stuff done by flash can also be accelerated.
As stated by adobe, and nvidia and ATI, only certain model cards can support flash acceleration, and all of the cards that support it also support either CUDA or BROOK. current flash with hardware acceleration still has a pretty high CPU usage and thats because the entire process of playing a flash video is not accelerated, just the video file and even then the video data has to be in h.264 this limits what the acceleration in flash by a lot.

they need to have flash use CUDA and BROOK, it should e easy for them as they have a decent team coding flash, and also many open source groups were able to make rainbow table generators that supported CUDA and BROOK, and many video converters are starting to support CUDA, which shows that the GPU processing can be used on a wide range of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.