Harry Potter Temporarily Nuked Amazon's Kindle Store

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]wmalinowski[/nom]Lord Voldemort revenge?[/citation]

If he wanted revenge, he wouldn't have simply knock out Amazon. He would've brought Steve Jobs back to life, under one condition for him.

-Avoid Harry Potter books like a plague. Choke any companies that choose to sell the books at all cost.

OR, he could've simply outright BBQ Amazon's servers.

13thmonkey

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
so they are longer and therefore worth more? does that work as a concept on e books, there's no more paper involved, they were already written, why are they the same price as the paper copies. KEEEEERCHING!!!!

rocso

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
They are providing you with a service of convenience, this is where the extra cost comes from. and it also takes mad money to manufacture ebooks. MMAAAADDD money!!! /sarc

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]velocityg4[/nom]I'd have thought the fans would already own the physical books.[/citation]
They might, but it will be like Beatles fans that have every copy of the White Album, from vinyl, 8 track, tape, minidisc to download

the_crippler

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
[citation][nom]13thmonkey[/nom]so they are longer and therefore worth more? does that work as a concept on e books, there's no more paper involved, they were already written, why are they the same price as the paper copies. KEEEEERCHING!!!![/citation]

It's because we've reached peak e-ink. We need to start conserving/charging more for ebooks now, or else we won't have any e-readers within 10 years. IS THAT WHAT YOU WANT?

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]13thmonkey[/nom]so they are longer and therefore worth more? does that work as a concept on e books, there's no more paper involved, they were already written, why are they the same price as the paper copies. KEEEEERCHING!!!![/citation]
You're right, I think a 10-page pamphlet should be valued at the same price as a 500 page epic, also popularity/talent of the author and demand for the title should have no bearing on market prices. /sarcasm

I couldn't care less about Harry Potter. But I can't stand the entitlement mentality either.

13thmonkey

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
they are already written, no/zero/nada extra work has gone into making these books, no materials have been consumed, they have been free to produce they could sell 1million copies and only incur amazons costs.

This isn't about entitlement, get to know me before you start talking like that.

From a business model point of view, selling them for £2-3 each would a) get more fans to buy them again, b) introduce new fans (who might otherwise buy secondhand at zero benefit to the publishers) c) those new fans will then also go out and buy/watch the films etc.

Benefit to both the publisher and the customer is positive.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Its about damn time.. When I got my ereader, I thought it would be a good time to read the final Harry Potter book since it had been out for like 6months.. I looked for like a day to find the ebook to purchase online before I found out that JK Rowling didnt want it released as an ebook because she feared it would be pirated.. Anyone want to guess how I had to get the ebook? I dont know what kind of statement she was trying to make by not releasing it as an ebook but that messaged failed miserably.

Status
Not open for further replies.