Has anyone tried out the AMD Catalyst Omega driver?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blacksheep123

Estimable
Jul 7, 2014

he doesnt have fx pu.. its intel

but he has AMD gpu which amd promises to improve by 19 %
http://cdn2.expertreviews.co.uk/sites/expertreviews/files/1/83//amd_omega_drivers_3.png?itok=OCwSTMM9

blacksheep123

Estimable
Jul 7, 2014

lol graphics driver donot have any connection with the chipset driver... it has to do with something else

you donot make any sense

avishkarkedari

Estimable
Dec 3, 2014

*facepalm*
My graphics card AMD Radeon HD8670m 2Gb..... a Mobility Radeon gfx -_-

I know the gfx driver doesn't have anything to do with the chipset....

avishkarkedari

Estimable
Dec 3, 2014

I don't have a mobile APU but I do have a mobile GPU. I tried this driver with it. It works great and shows noticeable improvements in the performance. But the driver does not allow the laptop to go into hibernation (power is never switch off when hibernated) and also it does not allow the screen to wake up when it goes into powersaver

N7XO

Estimable
Dec 15, 2014
Omega isn't what I was expecting, they tried to make it so social, you can even connect if you want. Its acting like a console dashboard. I didn't noticed any improvements and I think some games are actually worse. I run that shetty pay to win Planetside 2 on ultra, 50 to 60 fps the whole time and for some unknown reason I'm hitting 35 regularly. But the worse part is that consolite-looking on the Catalyst. If I want to record something, I use Fraps I don't need any of the features there, everything seems to be really over hyped on my opinion. Oh, and the optimization is clearly a joke, its just a recommendation of in-game settings which is always wrong.

And I miss the overdrive, to work on with the manual cooler and to adjust its speed. I'm going back to the previous Catalyst until they wake up on that thing.

smeezekitty

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012

You must be talking about AMD Raptr. That is installed by default now
but it was available separately before. Catalyst Control Center is
available just like normal and is only slightly changed from the previous verson

N7XO

Estimable
Dec 15, 2014

I must be ultra noob then, I tried to find in the same day the CCC but no success. I think because my old Icon wasn't working and I immediately assumed that Raptr was the new crappy control center. Shame on me. Found it here. Still Raptr is useless for me, nothing special really and I find no boost on any game ... do this happens to you? It should be optional. Thanks for the info.

smeezekitty

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012

It doesn't help much but it isn't really hurting anything either

Hugoagogo

Estimable
Dec 17, 2014
My black screening has now become more regular after installing these new drivers. Running win 7 64 with an amd 8350,Sapphire r9 290 reference with watercooling. Kinda fed up with this considering this was a flagship card. Looking at NVidia now as I really have tried all the options/fixes recommended for this card.Going back to 14.4 in the meantime

FrankIT

Estimable
May 5, 2014

Any progress? I have the same laptop. Thanks!

Bro. I have installed the Omega v14. I was hoping to get a black screen after installing it. But, to my surprise it didn't go black. Try to install it as well. Do not mind if your display adapter shows "AMD Radeon R9 m265x" that is absolutely fine. Will update you if I find any problem. but for the mean time it works perfectly.

that8850mguy

Estimable
Dec 22, 2014

Hey dude, have you had any problems with the new AMD 14.12 drivers yet? I'm talking about possible hibernation problems/shutting down problems. I gave up installing the the AMD drivers last time when these issues started occurring for me. I have the same laptop as well (Dell 3537). It would be awesome if these drivers went problem free. Thanks :)