Have an HP z400 looking for a laptop "upgrade"

kenmtb

Prominent
Jun 1, 2017
Hi I am considering replacing my HP Z400 with a better performing laptop. I need the portability for now. I have never owned a laptop and I am going nutz trying to match all the specs. The HP is : HP Z400 WORKSTATION XEON W3550 3.07GHz 6GB , 500gb HDD.

I mostly surf the web, youtube and occasionally edit and upload videos. Would something like this be an upgrade. I dont want to loose speed. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
ASUS Full HD 15.6” Laptop AMD A10 3.20GHz 8GB 1TB DVD+RW WebCam Windows 10

Solution
A used laptop from ebay is rarely a good idea, unless:
- you are really experienced in testing laptops
- they actually offer a strong return policy
- it comes with a known valid OS, license key and install media (or you are prepared to purchase your own - $100)
- it is really, really inexpensive. Like $200

$700 US, you could buy something new, with a warranty

aquielisunari

Distinguished

Are you buying this from Ebay?

Any particular reason they would omit the model number?

What's the name of that CPU? It's the AMD A10-7300.They are not upfront with that. Apart from that it's not an upgrade.

Top end of your budget?

Snipergod87

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
The AMD-A10 would be a severe downgrade in terms of performance. We need to know budget and what specs you are roughly looking for. You are going to be looking at a mobile i7 with 4 cores 8 threads for similar or better performance.

kenmtb

Prominent
Jun 1, 2017
Hi thank you for the replies. My budget is used (ebay?) up to 500-700 plus a docking station. From what I read here, I should look for i7 4 cores not AMD.
I am moving so I need a laptop. I usually research things like crazy but there are so many laptops, Im not sure what to look out for
Thanks

kenmtb

Prominent
Jun 1, 2017
. What is your budget? 500-700

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? not important, will use docking station

3. What screen resolution do you want? N/A

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? portable
5. How much battery life do you need? a couple of hours

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? no games

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) Internet videos, movies, video editing and uploading

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? Not sure, my desktop has 50GB and I use 90GB

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? A couple of years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? DVD ROM

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. Doesn't matter

13. What country do you live in? USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.I am getting a temporary laptop until I settle into a new city and job. I will be commuting on the weekend to my old place so I need a PC to take back and fourth for about a year.

I hope this can help people find their ideal notebook.

Additionally... you should also consider what support options are available in your area. If say you buy something abroad, will you be able to have it fixed near where you live? Does the warranty apply? How quickly do local accredited technicians fix laptops? Getting used so no warranty
More about : buying laptop fill

USAFRet

Illustrious
A used laptop from ebay is rarely a good idea, unless:
- you are really experienced in testing laptops
- they actually offer a strong return policy
- it comes with a known valid OS, license key and install media (or you are prepared to purchase your own - $100)
- it is really, really inexpensive. Like $200

$700 US, you could buy something new, with a warranty

Solution

aquielisunari

Distinguished

You don't need that much space. You are using 90GB currently.

The SSD in the recommended laptop is much quicker and will help to expedite your editing jobs.

Clock speeds aren't the tell all number some would have you believe.

8GB of RAM will be very helpful when you're editing. 16 would be better. 6GB isn't better.

From where I sit the numbers don't add up to a yes as an answer to your question. I'd have to see the laptop you are talking about to offer anything definitive.

I did forget about the DVD player need https://www.amazon.com/Smallcar-External-Portable-Superdrive-Computer/dp/B01NAMWKQD/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1496339840&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=USB+DVD+player&psc=1

I'll find a different laptop.