Solved! HP Notebook 17-x010ca was dropped 3ft onto a rug; backlight works, but no picture. Everything else seem to work when connected to an external monitor.

Nov 11, 2019
HP Notebook 17-x010ca fell 3ft onto a rug. :( Backlight works (brightness, too) but NO picture. No beeps, no flashing lights. It'll brighten/dim as it goes through booting up, but no image. Nothing showing with a flashlight.

Everything appears to work fine when hooked up to my TV (login screen shows, picture looks fine, connects to wifi, no apparent issues). Tried holding the power button with no power source then rebooting (popular advice on forums/YouTube), too.

Unseated/reseated ribbon (computer end (I think?) and LCD end), but no change. Tried accessing boot options via laptop monitor, no go. Can't seem to access it via the secondary (TV)?

Running Windows 10, and has been used just for under 2 years without issue.

HP website says:

"If an image displays on the external monitor, there might be a graphics driver conflict with the notebook LCD display. With the external monitor connected, go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads. Download and install the latest graphics and chipset drivers for your specific computer."

Tried that - didn't work either.

At this point, what kind of a mess am I dealing with? :confused_old:

Solution
If it works with an external monitor then it likely isn't the GPU, unless the external one isn't using the same graphics as the attached display.

Since you checked the cable connections, then you are left with it being the display itself. It is completely possible that it was damaged in the fall. It doesn't take much. While laptops are transportable, they do not hold up well to any falls.

I would suggest having a tech look at it to be sure. Then you can decide if you want to have them do the work, or try and get the part and do the work yourself.

Since it was due to a fall, then even if there had been a warranty, it would be void now.
If it works with an external monitor then it likely isn't the GPU, unless the external one isn't using the same graphics as the attached display.

Since you checked the cable connections, then you are left with it being the display itself. It is completely possible that it was damaged in the fall. It doesn't take much. While laptops are transportable, they do not hold up well to any falls.

I would suggest having a tech look at it to be sure. Then you can decide if you want to have them do the work, or try and get the part and do the work yourself.

Since it was due to a fall, then even if there had been a warranty, it would be void now.

Solution
Nov 11, 2019

Much appreciated. I would just go and buy myself an LCD replacement and stick it in there myself, but I'm afraid it won't be the problem and then I'm stuck with a non-refundable LCD (I'm assuming they can't be returned - I could be wrong). I've emailed a local repair shop to see what the damage would be. We'll see!

Greg Chalik

Great
Nov 28, 2019
Much appreciated. I would just go and buy myself an LCD replacement and stick it in there myself, but I'm afraid it won't be the problem and then I'm stuck with a non-refundable LCD (I'm assuming they can't be returned - I could be wrong). I've emailed a local repair shop to see what the damage would be. We'll see!
Aside from the LCD interface cable the LCD itself has fine circuitry and components, a fracture of any one of these circuit etchings could produce the effects you see. Idintifying this would require opening up the LCD casing, but unless you know what to look for (do you recall which way the laptop hit the floor?) you may not find the fault. Try the local repair shop first.