Lenovo Backlight not working (Boots normally, external monitor doesn't work)

SABER42

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012
Hi Everyone,

My Lenovo B590 was working fine yesterday when I had an external monitor connected as an extended display with my laptop screen.

However today upon booting, I found the back-light doesn't work and it could not boot and launched immediately into an endless startup repair cycle. I can barely make out the screen with a flashlight shining off it at an angle but I finally managed to boot into safe mode and back into normal mode.

Now I sit with the problem of no back-light and the external monitor is not recognized when I plug it in.

Have tried to:
- Do a hard reset
- Reset bios
- Reset display adapter to Microsoft basic driver.

Any help would be much appreciated as this is the laptop I use for work and thus it is quite an urgent matter.

Update:

After a few hours I read about the possibility of loose cabling being the cause. I lightly tapped around the hinge points of the screen to try and seat any loose cables back into position. This managed to fix the error and confirm that it may be faulty backlight/inverter cabling that caused it.

Solution
Well if the backlight is damaged/gone, then the only fix is to replace the part. If the device is under warranty, contact the manufacturer. If it isn't, then you can either do the replacement yourself, or take it to a shop that can do it for you.

In regards to an external monitor, the following should make that work...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.
Well if the backlight is damaged/gone, then the only fix is to replace the part. If the device is under warranty, contact the manufacturer. If it isn't, then you can either do the replacement yourself, or take it to a shop that can do it for you.

In regards to an external monitor, the following should make that work...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

Solution