have enough space on memory card yet it say running out of space on nokia xl

A SD card is not the space a phone normally is referring to. Also, just inserting a card doesn't mean its space gets used for everything. When the device says it is running out of space it is normally referring to the phones "Internal" storage. Not a card. Most devices can't run apps from a card, so it all goes to the "Internal" storage. Instructions on how to make a card able to run apps is below. But it does not work on all devices.

If you are unable to use the instructions below to make the change on your device, then the only ways to free up space would be to uninstall apps, clear caches of apps and move things like photos, music, videos, etc., (not apps) to the SD card.

First, you need to be using a phone that is running at least Android "Marshmallow" (or newer) or be able to upgrade to it. Second, you will need the instructions I am including below. And third, you need a phone that has not been restricted by the manufacturer from making this change. Which does happen.

NOTE: If any of the steps are missing on your phone, or they don't work for you, then you have a phone that either has an older Android version or has been restricted by the manufacturer.

How to turn the "External" SD card into "Internal" storage on "Marshmallow".

NOTE: Please be sure you start with a blank SD card. It needs to be blank because when the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device).

1. Go to device “Settings”, then select “Storage”.
2. Select your "SD Card", then tap the “three-dot menu“ (top-right), now select “Settings” from in there.
3. Now select “Format as internal”, and then “Erase & Format”.
4. Your SD Card will now be formatted as internal storage.
5. Reboot your phone.

NOTE: If you don't reboot the phone, many things may not work correctly, so make sure you do.

How to turn the "External" SD card into "Internal" storage on "Nougat".

IMPORTANT NOTE: Be sure you start with a blank SD card. When the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device), so anything on it prior would be gone.

1. Go to "Settings", and then select "Storage & USB".
2. At the bottom of the list you should see the SD card's details, including the option to format it and make it "Internal" storage.
3. Once this is done, reboot the device and you can start running things from the card.

If you don't reboot the phone, some things may not work correctly, so make sure you do the reboot.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Android Smartphones 1
P Android Smartphones 2
E Android Smartphones 1
M Android Smartphones 2
T Android Smartphones 1
A Android Smartphones 1
A Android Smartphones 1
D Android Smartphones 1
S Android Smartphones 2
C Android Smartphones 2
M Android Smartphones 1