Have Lock Will Travel

Mar 9, 2018
hello all - RE: Folder Lockers. When I lock a folder on a USB drive, I want it to remain locked regardless of which pc the USB is used with. The locker program would obviously reside on the USB drive. So which Folder Locker does this ? - a freebie is preferable. thanks - Jay

Solution

And if it is lost or stolen, the new owner may plug it into a Linux PC. Defeating your folder lock.

Encryption is what you're looking for.
VeraCrypt, for instance.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Probably easily defeated if you plug it into a Linux machine.

Mar 9, 2018
thanks for the prompt response USAFRet - Linux doesn't really come into it. A) I have several PCs and will use the USB drive in each - But more importantly, if the USB is lost or stolen, the Locked Folder must stay locked no matter what PC its plugged into. A locked folder is quite useless if all you have to do is shove it in another PC to read everything. Thanks again - I'll keep looking.

USAFRet

Illustrious

And if it is lost or stolen, the new owner may plug it into a Linux PC. Defeating your folder lock.

Encryption is what you're looking for.
VeraCrypt, for instance.

Solution
Mar 9, 2018
undeniably correct USAFRet - the possibility didn't escape me - I have long feared Encrypting - rather like Beaming Up to the Enterprise ... it's not an exact science - you (your data) could be scattered into the universe. Anyway I'll face my demons and re-visit Encryption - starting with VeraCrypt. thanks for that tip.
Jazzjay