Have some questions on hooking up surround sound with plasma.

Defreshed

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012
Hi,

My wife and I have This TV and the audio on some movies can sometimes be low even when we crank the volume to 100. So our idea was to hook up some surround sound speakers to improve the volume and quality of our movie experience.

We primarily watch Netflix or occasionally stream home videos from USB and we do not have a TV reciever hooked up so we were confused about how exactly we would go about hooking up a sound system.

The TV has 1 optical out socket but we have only been able to find setups where people have a reciever to plug it into, and i don't know if the speakers will be able to connect to our TV without some kind of reciever.

Can anyone with more experience shed light on how exactly we could get surround speakers set up with this TV "as is" since all we have hooked to it are gaming consoles.

Thankyou :)

Solution

clarkjd

Distinguished

You are going to have to have a receiver or 5.1 channel amplifier in orderr to have surround sound. The TV only has a 2-channel audio amplifier, so it will not drive extra surround sound speakers without the additional amp.

Solution

Defreshed

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012

Would something like THIS work then? as far as i can tell it should but again i'm new to this lol. Thanks

clarkjd

Distinguished

You could put the optical out from the TV to the Optical in of the HTS. That should work and with 1000Watts it should be loud enough. :D