Having some trouble identifying a USB type, any help is appreciated.

patrick47018

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
Here is a picture of the device in question, I am wondering what type of USB cable I would need to purchase for the device. It is a generic digital camera.
Link to the image

open

Solution
yeah, there are quite a number of different configurations but a, b, mini a and micro b are generally the most common and regarded as standard. finding cables for other configurations is a bit harder.

when i buy a camera i always check the connection. i'm not buying anything special as that results in future headaches. my biggest peeve is how even on large tablets they put the smallest connector which always breaks. i'd rather have a bigger thicker phone with a full sized usb plug than need to replace cables every 6 months due to plug wear. its likely planned failure to sell more products.

R_1

Estimable
Herald
if the plug is not on that site then it is proprietary and can only be obtained from the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) or buying a used device of same model with cables.
Who makes the camera? are they still in business? do they have the cable available? have you looked for a matching model for sale (ebay, thrift shops)?

Are you a tinkerer?

As a last resort to get the thing working. the plug can be bypassed/removed, open the camera and remove the plug from the board. you will have to tinker and determine which wire goes to which plug, when wired and working you can solder the wire to the board and you will now have a permanent wired device. if you are willing to go that far you could replace the plug that is there with a standard plug that will have cables easier to acquire.

mjslakeridge

Distinguished

Wow, I didn't realize there were so many variations of USB connections! I had an old Kodak digital camera with a proprietary USB connection. But rather than digging out the USB cable when I wanted to transfer photos to my computer, I found it easier to remove the SD card and put it in my card reader in my PC.

yeah, there are quite a number of different configurations but a, b, mini a and micro b are generally the most common and regarded as standard. finding cables for other configurations is a bit harder.

when i buy a camera i always check the connection. i'm not buying anything special as that results in future headaches. my biggest peeve is how even on large tablets they put the smallest connector which always breaks. i'd rather have a bigger thicker phone with a full sized usb plug than need to replace cables every 6 months due to plug wear. its likely planned failure to sell more products.

Solution