having trouble doing multiple cuts on gimp

john vitz

Estimable
Mar 4, 2014
i am using gimp and every stupid time i need to cut a new part on the picture it does not cut(when i select the new cut area the rest of the image is gone and only the cut part stays). also when i deselect the cutting tool what i cut out comes back. only thing i can think of out of this simple so simple it pisses me off solution is to save the pic each time i need a new cut

Solution
Fair enough - no harm per se.

However, the issue/problem is likely to be with the process and not the picture/project itself.

Some Gimp user may well spot some error of omission or commission. Or otherwise recognize some limitation that you have encountered.

Has that always been happening or did the problem just develop?

Any recent changes to your system? Especially perhaps some recent gimp update?

Save your work and try reinstalling gimp. Could be some buggy or corrupted file.

Failing that check Gimp's website. Forums and FAQs.

Learn if anyone else is (or has) experienced the same problem.

Do not see any need for you to upload the file or otherwise show the pictures you are editing.

Key is to figure out if there is some limitation within Gimp regarding the cut and paste process to capture and cut out multiple parts of the same picture.

Or perhaps some use of the CTRL and/or SHFT keys is necessary. Much like you would select various filenames from a list: CTRL to skip about, SHFT for some continuous section.

To get different, non-connected areas of a picture I would expect CTRL to be applicable.

Fair enough - no harm per se.

However, the issue/problem is likely to be with the process and not the picture/project itself.

Some Gimp user may well spot some error of omission or commission. Or otherwise recognize some limitation that you have encountered.

Solution