HD Movies Have Arrived on PlayStation Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdillon

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
The pricing for these DRM-laden downloads is still way too high. You can buy new releases on Blu-Ray Disc from a store for between $15 and $25. The BD will have higher quality audio and video and isn't limited to being downloaded and played on just a few systems. BD will also continue to work, just like DVDs will, long after they have been replaced by something else. All of those DRM movie downloads are dead after they decide to shut down the DRM servers.

Assmar

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
It will be the 1080p, but with terrible compression just like iTunes right? No thanks, I'd rather buy Blu-Ray.

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]cdillon[/nom]The pricing for these DRM-laden downloads is still way too high. You can buy new releases on Blu-Ray Disc from a store for between $15 and $25. The BD will have higher quality audio and video and isn't limited to being downloaded and played on just a few systems. BD will also continue to work, just like DVDs will, long after they have been replaced by something else. All of those DRM movie downloads are dead after they decide to shut down the DRM servers.[/citation]

Agreed, but I think they are trying to reach people that cannot afford blue-ray players...

"sarcasm"

Can you really get BD's for that cheap? I guess it's been a while since I checked, but I assumed they were a good deal more expensive than that.

cdillon

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
[citation][nom]touchdowntexas13[/nom]Agreed, but I think they are trying to reach people that cannot afford blue-ray players..."sarcasm"Can you really get BD's for that cheap? I guess it's been a while since I checked, but I assumed they were a good deal more expensive than that.[/citation]

Not sure where the sarcasm was aimed, but just in case it wasn't about the lack of BD players... these HD movie downloads on PSN are for PS3 users, which means they have a Blu-Ray player.

The prices I mentioned were for Wal-Mart's BD selection. I couldn't find any title that wasn't part of a boxed-set or some kind of special-edition that was more than $25 and some change, and most were less than that. Same goes for Amazon.com who right now is advertising a bunch of Blu-Ray discs for $13, while the average price is about $20.

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]cdillon[/nom]Not sure where the sarcasm was aimed, but just in case it wasn't about the lack of BD players... these HD movie downloads on PSN are for PS3 users, which means they have a Blu-Ray player.The prices I mentioned were for Wal-Mart's BD selection. I couldn't find any title that wasn't part of a boxed-set or some kind of special-edition that was more than $25 and some change, and most were less than that. Same goes for Amazon.com who right now is advertising a bunch of Blu-Ray discs for $13, while the average price is about $20.[/citation]

yes that's exactly where the sarcasm was aimed (regarding the fact they already have BD players)

it was a joke dude...

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]assmar[/nom]It will be the 1080p, but with terrible compression just like iTunes right? No thanks, I'd rather buy Blu-Ray.[/citation]

1080p on the xbox is full featured and is amazing.

The end for physical media is neigh. Repent sinners!

mauskau

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
The main reason I don't care about this is that the Playstation network is horrendously slow. I mean suuuuuper slow. I am on a 50Mbs connection and it took around 15 minutes to download a game update that was just over 100 MB in size. This is not the only time either. Those sorts of speeds are the norm. I have no problem downloading stuff for my XBox 360 at full speed though.

If Sony were to fix the PSN then I might be more interested. Until then I just don't care.

mauskau

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
The main reason I don't care about this is that the Playstation network is horrendously slow. I mean suuuuuper slow. I am on a 50Mbs connection and it took around 15 minutes to download a game update that was just over 100 MB in size. This is not the only time either. Those sorts of speeds are the norm. I have no problem downloading stuff for my XBox 360 at full speed though.

If Sony were to fix the PSN then I might be more interested. Until then I just don't care.

IFLATLINEI

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
Am I missing something? HD movies have been on the PSN store since day one so how is this news now? Where the F#%$ have you guys been? Now and then you might want to peak out of that hole your hiding in and take a look around

eccentric909

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
[citation][nom]iflatlinei[/nom]Am I missing something? HD movies have been on the PSN store since day one so how is this news now? Where the F#%$ have you guys been? Now and then you might want to peak out of that hole your hiding in and take a look around[/citation]

Were they always available to own or just rent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS