HD video editing on integrated i7 graphics?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

disease8

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011

Right having a look I can see what you mean. But I would still be worried that these Clevo ones are not configured exactly like the ADK ones with the TI chipset and everything. Also how quiet and cool are they?
And I live in the UK, could they chip it over here?
I would be worried that they wouldnt have decent latency or be fine tuned for audio..

M-Audio has USB audio solutions that work with any computer.

Video editing:
You are likely going to be limited by either the CPU or the amount of RAM. It varies a lot depending on what you are doing, especially the size of the video.

The graphics portion really doesn't matter unless you find software that supports it properly AND it is faster than your CPU can perform by itself.

You may wish to investigate RAM and CPU usage (especially RAM) for CS5.

2nd hard drive:
I'm not certain this would be of any use to you. The video is loaded and worked on in RAM. If RAM is too low it will thrash back to the hard drive, but why have two drives?

disease8

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011

Its not the processing power its about the chipsets and dpc latency, slient running laptop...etc

disease8

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011

You HAVE to have at least two hard disks for HD video editing as it will bottle neck on one and slow everything down. I had this problem with my desktop, I got a second hard disk and faster cpu and now it works fine..

CaedenV helped me a lot with my desktop I trust his opinion he obviously knows what he is talking about! :)

disease8

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011

Cool it says its $2,179.00 on the website, if it costs an extra £200 to have it built specifically for audio I would rather save the headache and pay extra if indeed they are different from the stock Sager's...
http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=product_customed&model_name=NP9270

disease8

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
Theses are reasons why it needs to be built for audio:
1) if there is firewire it wont be TI and chances of it working are extremely thin. Usually (Ricoh, jmicon)

2) most laptops dont have firewire, so the only option is adding an Express card with TI chipset.
however this rarely works. it has a lot to do with how the bios is written, and how Vendor ID is dealt with.
""Also known as a VID, a vendor ID is a unique number assigned to each computer hardware device that helps a computer identify the hardware being installed in the computer. Most vendor IDs start with 0x, for example, 0x9710 or 9710 is an example of a Vendor ID. Other Vendor IDs may be the first few letters of the company's name or an abbreviation. ""

this is one of the reasons the RME works better than a stock Fireiwre express card. it has a specific vendor ID where most firewire cards are read as non specific.
they still dont work in at least 50% of laptops however

3)designed for long battery life. again this is the cry of the masses give us long battery life, give us "green", give us really good wifi.
so ther are a good deal of things in the bios that are designed to SAVE power not use it. and put power where it should not (wifi)
thus making the Express slot under volted most of the time. (vendor ID tells the bios to up the voltage for the RME)

the Firewire port (if ther is one) can also suffer from this or suffer from sleep states whisch is my next statement.

4) C-States (various states of reduced power to the Processor) aka sleep states.
see this thread
C1E, C3, C6, EIST, Speedstep, Turbo Boost, Core parking

with the laptop bios you do not have the options of turning these off (our laptops have custom bios' wrote with these off and other things)

5)DPC latency. you can download a program called DPC latency checker..
this never use to be an issue (well at least not as previlent as it is now) you can be an issue with Desktops as well.

disease8

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011

Thank you I will need 8gig at least more likely 16gb.. Thats why its so restricting, I have to choose a workstation, pro audio laptop or any other that is built with performance in mind. Usually the gaming laptops are too loud and hot and are not geared for audio but graphics and power...

disease8

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
I mean these are very tempting:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-EliteBook-2540p-Laptop-Core-i7-Brand-New-and-FACTORY-SEALED-/251046696764?pt=UK_Computing_Laptops_EH&hash=item3a738c973c#ht_7858wt_1139

They are pretty cheap and if the integrated graphics dont matter I would be very tempted. I just need to confirm that they can take a second graphics card, they can have enough ram and also that the dpc latency and firewire are good enough for audio! Its so annoying its almost worth just shelling out for a power house that will definitely work!

ADK does not 'build' the notebook. They only use the parts that are already installed on the SAGER NP9270/Clevo P270WM bare bones notebook they call the ADK 9000.

The reason the ADK 9000 has the 'TI firewire chipset Firewire-800' is because ALL SAGER NP9270/Clevo P270WM notebooks have it. Anywhere you find a notebook boutique builder using a SAGER NP9270/Clevo P270WM it will have TI XIO2221ZAY Firewire 800 chip on the motherboard.

This is the subject of the thread.
ADK does not build from the ground up. The use a barebones chassis - the SAGER NP9270/Clevo P270WM.
ADK 9000 most certainly is the SAGER NP9270/Clevo P270WM.
SAGER NP9270/Clevo P270WM does have the Ti firewire chip.

Seriously, we're not wrong on this.

Yes they could. Most of the better boutique builders will ship to the EuroZone.
XoticPC, Origin, Advent
From Canada: MythLogic & ReflexNotebook

disease8

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011

Sorry. I agree that they are the asme chassis. I dont mean to argue you are right definitely. But I am sure that a lot of tuning and work goes on in a customised bios as the guy from ADK states in the quotues I put up.. And its only a little more to get it from ADK....

I am worried about getting something shipped all the way from the states and having to return it when it does not work will cost the money I could have spent to get one that is tuned for audio...

How much Firewire hardware are we talking about here?
It won't hurt to look at the cost of getting USB 3.0 replacement audio equipment and the cost of nicely equipped USB 3.0 notebook - compared to getting that top of the line FireWire notebook.

I'm seriously suspicious that ADK is blowing smoke over the whole 'custom tuning' thing. The option & ability to tune your desktop and tuning a notebook are pretty much the same. What ADK is suggesting they do, I'm almost certain, is to configure the existing BIOS much the same way you tuned your desktop.
The "writing a custom BIOS" is almost certainly not true.

This is the kind of thing that worries me most. If they are telling you stuff like this - I'm seriously concerned they are mis-representing other facts and capabilities of their offering.
If they were super-serious about doing what you mention that sets the ADK 9000 apart from other SAGER NP9270/Clevo P270WM notebooks they would not have that super-gaming graphics card, the GTX 675 (aka GTX 580M), included in their package.
They would be offering the higher bandwidth lower latency premium RAM as well. DDR3 1333 CAS 9 is bog-standard RAM.

disease8

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
Sorry it might have been my mistake that the original on didnt have TI chipset or a sub woofer I just didnt see it listed in the specifications..

THanks for the reply I will look into this more but also I know that the ADK guys are very well respected on all the forums, they also are very open and communicative on the forums that they frequent. I will email them and find out what they say they do that is different to the original clevo/sager. I suspect they will just tell me what I listed above about the custome bios...etc...

Usb 3 does not really give any advantage for audio and there are no usb 3 audio devices. Firewire is still sufficient for loads of ins and outs, I already have a nice motu interface that is firewire so I just want to stick with that as I am very happy with it..

The nice thing about all those boutique builders (and ADK is one of them) is that you can talk to the owners and techs to get detailed info.

Once you've talked to ADK call one of the others and see if they can shed any light on what ADK really does.

disease8

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
I have contacted ADK but they are taking a long time to respond. If yuo look on forums like Gearslutz or homerecording.com ADK are on those and bvery open and honest. i am sure they are not full of BS in saying they have custome bios and the list I put above... I will update this thread with my response. I wouldnt be suprised if scott from ADK is not on here already he might pick up on this thread! :)

Thanks all of you for the help its really food for though! I am looking at the clevo/sager website now and also adk, i think it will probably be one of those two!

:love: