HDD Caddy for Laptops, speeds compared to sata?

Solrac Oreca

Estimable
Jun 13, 2014
My laptop with only 1 sata port for HDD/SSD (no msata whatsoever) and thinking about replacing the DVD drive with an HDD caddy for that port to mount another HDD. Any thoughts on speed difference when using the internal sata port vs internal HDD caddy? Thanks!

Sammyjo201

Estimable
Dec 27, 2015

I doubt you will notice a huge speed decrease as the DVD drive should be SATA anyway, the only thing, it might be SATA 2 instead of SATA 3 which is slightly slower but again, you probably wont notice a difference. You will also need to make sure the HDD Caddy has Sata power too (im assuming) which the DVD drive may not be powered by. Do you know what the DVD drive is powered by?

- Sam

Solrac Oreca

Estimable
Jun 13, 2014

It connects same as the DVD drive like a shorter SATA but ofc it now has a slot for HDDs with longer lookin' SATA connectors. No external power that I'm aware of, what I do know is the size differences and my laptop has the 9.5mm version.

Worried about power too guys, I'm glad speed won't be much of a problem but how about power draw, I tend to use battery a lot at school and if my OS is on the SSD (main sata) and my new sata caddy with HDD on idle, won't it sip just like how DVD drive's at idle would be? What worries me would be using both SSD and HDD and may cause too much heat and such too. Any thoughts?