Status
Not open for further replies.

rja666

Honorable
Oct 30, 2016
On my Sony camcorder, I'm getting message 'HDD FORMAT ERROR'. Can someone please tell me if this can be resolved or does the harddrive need to be replaced.

Solution
Welcome to the TH Community, @rja666!

I'm afraid that this error could have occurred due to data or physical/logical corruption on the camcorder's HDD. If you have important data on it, you should definitely contact a professional data recovery company for assistance. Another way for you to troubleshoot the issue would be to use a third-party recovery tool at your own risk to retrieve any important files.
Otherwise, you could try resolving the issue by resetting the camera to factory defaults and formatting the HDD itself. If that doesn't work, I'd definitely consider replacing the HDD. However, you should also check your camcorder's warranty status. If it's still covered, you could possibly be able to RMA the product and get the...

SuperSoph_WD

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014
Welcome to the TH Community, @rja666!

I'm afraid that this error could have occurred due to data or physical/logical corruption on the camcorder's HDD. If you have important data on it, you should definitely contact a professional data recovery company for assistance. Another way for you to troubleshoot the issue would be to use a third-party recovery tool at your own risk to retrieve any important files.
Otherwise, you could try resolving the issue by resetting the camera to factory defaults and formatting the HDD itself. If that doesn't work, I'd definitely consider replacing the HDD. However, you should also check your camcorder's warranty status. If it's still covered, you could possibly be able to RMA the product and get the faulty hardware replaced by the manufacturer's customer support.

Contact them for further assistance.
Hope this helps you. Good luck! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Solution

rja666

Honorable
Oct 30, 2016

rja666

Honorable
Oct 30, 2016
Hi SuperSoph_WD,
Thanks for your comments. I suspect that my problem was because when I downloaded my photos to my PC, I opted to format the HDD directly from my PC. I guess the only solution now is, as you said, to replace the HDD.
Thanks again.

rja666

Honorable
Oct 30, 2016
Hi SuperSoph_WD & rgd1101,
I had tried using the reset button but with no result, then came across the format option which worked, as you both suggested. So, thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.