HDD Setup for Recording 1440p 60fps

Status
Not open for further replies.

I3reeze

Estimable
Jan 23, 2015
First off, I'll state that my current setup - whether it be due to my selected Dxtory codec or HDD speeds - does not record at a steady 60fps. I've got a thread on this (http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-3125888/recording-70fps.html#18301049 if that helps), but I'm creating this thread to focus more on this topic.

Here's my whole build: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/I3reeze/saved/vwpWGX

Currently, I'm using a 1440p monitor and using Dxtory to record a down-scaling resolution of 1080p 60fps in order to record at decently high framerate (hovers around 45-62fps).

I've read that recording at native resolution should be more efficient than down-scaling, which is why I'm looking into solutions for 1440p recording. If I am mistaken, and it would be much easier for me to record 1080p with a small change (rather than buying 1 or 2 other HDDs - see below), please let me know.

I'm writing this recorded .avi file to a single HDD, my E: which I have essentially dedicated to hold recordings and renders. According to Dxtory's built in benchmark test, this HDD (E: ) writes at about 100MBsec, and, as stated above, struggles to maintain a steady 60fps.

I've tried writing to my C: drive and although an SSD can probably do what I need, it seems like there are better options out there, particularly an HDD RAID setup.

I am thinking the solution would be using an HDD which is better designed for continuous uninterrupted writing. Furthermore, I'm thinking a RAID0 setup would do me well. When originally building this PC, I didn't know there were HDDs designed for specific tasks.
I stole this line from a thread I found during research: "the WD Black you have picked is focused more on low seek/access times/latencies than on sequential throughput, which is fantastic for an OS drive, but pretty much the opposite of what you want for "Media" drives (which is what a gameplay-recording drive/array is)."

I've done a fair amount of research and learned about "Short Stroking," but I don't really want to partition my HDD, as I find it annoying as time goes on.

Essentially, I think my options come down to these:

• ■ Stick with my current HDD setup because it should be able to do the trick and there's something else wrong with my setup
    --Use a different codec
    --The HDD may be failing
    --Bottlenecking somewhere
    --Other issue I haven't considered
    ■ Get another HDD, same/similar to current E: drive, and set up a RAID-0 to achieve solid 60+ fps at 1440p
    ■ Get a single new HDD designed for "sequential throughput" and dedicate it to recording
    ■ Get two new HDDs designed for "sequential throughput" and use those in RAID-0 for recording
    ■ Get a large SSHDD and deal with the partition, perhaps render to the slower partition.

If you have any opinions or advice, I'd appreciate hearing them.
Thank you.

1) I'm not sure what you mean by "more efficient" though perhaps you mean CPU cycles (compressing the data is costly).

2) Are you sure the HDD is the problem?
If we assume a worst-case of about 25MBps (in case of interruption AND because the inner edge writes at half the speed of the outer edge) that comes to 1500MB for a one-minute file.

3) What about using OBS and have the Intel iGPU do the encoding?

4) If it is the drive that is the bottleneck, then get an SSD. It doesn't have to be massive, just enough for what you're doing now and a bit more. You can always MOVE the data from the SSD over to an HDD later.

Other:
If you don't have Windows 10 you might want to upgrade now while it's still free (end of this month).

Other:
back to the SSD->

I suggest getting at least a 256GB one, and use if for recording as well as a few games. Some games (like Skyrim) benefit a lot because of frequent load times which can get frustrating with an HDD (like entering a dungeon, building, or jumping map points).

*For video capture, if it's about 100MBps then that is about 6GB per minute, or 60GB for TEN minutes as a guide so it can really add up so use that as a guide for buying the SSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.