HDMI audio "not plugged in"

theburritosupreme

Prominent
Dec 5, 2017
Hello--

I have a PC with NVIDIA graphics card and a Nintendo Switch. My monitor has only one HDMI input and no built-in speakers or head phone jack. Right now I have the PC and the Switch connected into an HDMI switch which then connects out to my monitor. The HDMI switch has a digital audio out which I have connected to a set of powered speakers.

My hope is to be able to use the HDMI switch to change from the PC's video/audio to Switch's and vice versa. The problem is that no audio seems to be coming from the PC via HDMI. When I open up the playback devices in the sound settings I see several options for NVIDIA output, but they are all grayed out with no option to select them as the default device. All of them say "not plugged in."

Is there anything I can do to get the audio to come through the NVIDIA card? I have tried updating the NVIDIA audio drivers via the device manager. I also looked in the NVIDIA control panel section "Set up digital audio" and it shows my monitor is connected to the HDMI port.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Solution
OK... user error I guess. I don't know why, but it's working now. I disconnected and reconnected some cables while rearranging my desk and now I can select the NVIDIA audio device (my monitor) in the audio playback devices.

theburritosupreme

Prominent
Dec 5, 2017
OK... user error I guess. I don't know why, but it's working now. I disconnected and reconnected some cables while rearranging my desk and now I can select the NVIDIA audio device (my monitor) in the audio playback devices.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS