HDMI Cables and Lightning!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

n9zn

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010

ZACK, when it comes to Panasonic plasma 3D TV's I can assure you it is not the HDMI cable that is always affected. After 4 lightening strikes over more than 4 years I have lost only the TV's HDMI port that is connected to my cable TV box. Everything else in the house is fine, just the single HDMI port on TV goes out.

Arthur_1975

Estimable
Jan 6, 2016

Arthur_1975

Estimable
Jan 6, 2016
Believe it or not I still have not fixed my TV from that lightning strike. I did purchase a main board where the power cable is located but it still is not working. I believe it is the HDMI board but I cannot find that board to save my life. Thanks for the answer though and yes I am waiting for the person that can answer our problem.

n9zn

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010

This is nearly certainly an HDMI problem. HDMI and AVI usually are both on the TV "main" or often called "A" board (the board may have the HDMI connectors on it or you can follow a cable from an HDMI connector to the board inside the set). HDMI passes through a different area of the board than does AVI signals. I have been searching to see if anyone knows which tiny surface mount component is being blown out from lightening ESD. If I can find that answer for my Panasonic TC-P42ST30 plasma TV I will be able to fix the board for a few pennies when this occurs in the future.

ZACK, take a look at MY post following this one IT EXPALINS EXACTLY WHAT IS HAPPENING TO YOUR TV and HOW TO REPAIR IT.

n9zn

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
THE SIMPLE TRUTH ABOUT HDMI PANASONIC PORTS BECOMING INOPERABLE, HDMI signal processing and Electro Static Discharge (ESD)! (THE BEST PART is that this explanation of the HDMI Panasonic problem applies to many devices produced by nearly every company that process incoming HDMI signals prior to sending them on the other areas of a device for additional handling or display.)

I have an excellent Panasonic Plasma TV and I have watched 4 HDMI ports stop working from Electro Static Discharge (ESD) over a period of 5 years. Each time I get an ESD to the TV it comes through the cable box and destroys only the HDMI port on my TV connected to the TV cable providers box. All other HDMI ports are unaffected by the ESD.

I realized the problem area is isolated to a multi pin IC chip on the TV main board also known as the A board, it is the IC chip at the opposite end of the short HDMI buss circuit from the HDMI connector connection to the IC chip that process incoming HDMI signals for distribution elsewhere in the device. No matter if this is a TV, Blue Ray Disc recorder, Projector, Computer or any other device receiving and using HDMI signals internally there is usually a multi-pin IC chip whose purpose is to control HDMI signal timing and processing.

This chip can be replaced if you can locate a replacement chip manufacturer, you will need to patiently search the internet for the chip part number on the chip. Manufacture's are nearly guaranteed to not have these IC's available as a stand alone part. Some chips may be difficult to locate, if you can not locate a replacement chip the PCB board containing this chip will need to be replaced. There is no known practical method to repair defective IC chip internal circuitry.

Replacement of a defective or blown SM IC chip is relatively easy for those who work on SM PCB boards and have the proper equipment. Even those without all of the SM equipment used by companies offering this kind of service can be successful but this requires creativity, a very steady hand, patience and attention to producing high quality work.

Replacing the chip involves, taping off the surrounding area, heating the old IC chip via heated air gun and carefully lifting it from the board. This procedure is delicate because you do not want to damage surrounding components or thermal shock any part of the PCB or components. Temperatures must be raised in increments allowing the PCB and components to acclimate to the small increment rise in temperature before applying more heat. If you do not do this the board may pop corn and components will almost certainly be thermal shocked resulting in an inoperative PCB board.

You can find any number of videos on YouTube detailing how to replace multi-pin IC chips on a SM PCB board. If you are going to purchase a replacement main board to repair the problem and are skilled soldering you may want to try replacing the offending component yourself. If you are successful you saved yourself from having to buy another main board. If your not successful you gained some delicate soldering experience on SMT boards and will have to order the replacement main board to fix the HDMI inputs.

AN OUNCE OF PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN A POUND OF CURE. It makes no difference how you repair your bad HDMI ports. The only way to help avoid repeat occurrences of HDMI port in-operability is to purchase and properly install a high quality HDMI ESD and Voltage surge protector. A search of Amazon, E-Bay or Google will reveal a number of devices that will help prevent future damage to HDMI port circuits.

MikesDad

Commendable
Jul 13, 2016
It just happened to us....and I found this forum while trying to find out what happened. The lightning got the phone company's modem, our phone, blue ray player, and the HDMI ports on the TV. My question or solution: replacement equipment where possible will be wireless(computers, printers, blu ray player and/or TV) so future strikes may get the wireless router, but downstream equipment will be protected??

Mebster

Commendable
Jul 25, 2016
Same here. Lightning strike took out the main video processor board on 60' Visio. Good thing I can find these on Ebay for $30. This is the second I replaced. First time just lost the TV. A couple weeks ago we had a closer hit and it took the TV and everything else that was connected to it via HDMI. All the devices fired up, just no HDMI output. Dish Hopper DVR (Component output worked fine), AppleTV box, and Sony PS4. Obviously HDMI is extremely susceptible to Lightning and/or associated ESD.