HDMI-CEC Mouse

ggb667

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
I have a PC with HDMI out. I want to control the laptop mouse cursor using the remote that came with the TV (Samsung 46a750). The PC controlling the display is a dell Studio Laptop 1735.

It's clear this COULD work by looking at the HDMI-CEC specification. But I don't think it DOES work.

Is there some driver or way I can make this function?

P.S. It's unclear to me if the laptop can output 5.1 sounds through the HDMI cable (even if I had a receiver that could take that).

P.P.S. Right now I've been reduced to using a blue tooth keyboard (with a built in mouse pad) to control the PC. The PC is running Vista, and I keep having to un-install and reinstall the keyboard. It's like it doesn't remember the keyboard is connected to the PC, but the keyboard shows up in the blue tooth installed devices.

P.P.P.S. I see that MSI has a solution for a PC that is a receiver that outputs amplified signals to a 5.1 stereo. Is that the only product? I have a Yamaha receiver that does 7.1 and a second 2 channel zone (no HDMI in or out though). I don't want to replace my capable system with a less capable system and add yet another box to this already over complicated solution.

robliu

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
You went the wrong way; you should use the mouse to control the pointer on the HDTV and see if it can operate the HDTV menu of your Samsung. Mouse drivers are executed on the CPU and permanently installed on your computer.

As for the mouse selection, what I found is that the regular 800 DPI mouse would not cut it. They are too slow to be usable for a 46-in HDTV at 1080p resolution. So far the best mouse (?) that I found to be usable is the V-Mouse from Salient. (www.pen-mouse.com) It is a wireless pen shaped mouse with 1000 DPI and works on soft surfaces like a sofa so I don't have to look for a flat surface to operate.

Hope this helps.
Rob