Question HDMI connection not permitted with Pioneer VSX-LX302

May 11, 2021
Hi,

Everything was working fine for the past 3 years and then after my TV has been off for 3 days I get this message. I've tried every troubleshooting steps imaginable. What is the cause for this error? It seems to involve the receiver because when I plug from TV directly to Tivo, it works fine.

HDMI connection not permitted. “The copyright holder of this video does not allow it to be viewed on an unsecured device connected with an HDMI cable. If you were trying to watch this video using an HDMI cable connected to a TV, that TV is not correctly supporting HDCP (HD copy protection) and you will need to switch to using a different cable.”

May 11, 2021
Yes, I tried different cables/port with no luck. I was out of town so don't know if there was an outage. I never got a notification like I do from the electric company.

May 11, 2021
What devices do you have connected to the Pioneer VSX-LX302? Do all devices, when connected directly, work properly? If so, the issue is the Pioneer.

Have you reset (cycled power) the Pioneer?
I have a Sony TV and DVD Player as well as a Tivo DVR. The DVD player works just fine. I can even get the Pioneer menu/settings on the TV to view or make changes.

I read on some forums about a firmware update. Could Tivo have sent one that would have caused this problem? I tried reaching out to Tivo but they didn't want to mess with my settings and instead wanted me to reach out to my service provider. I just don't know what they can do if Tivo could be the culprit.

May 19, 2021
Since a few days ago, I have been getting "hdmi connection not permitted" message on my screen. Called Tivo, they say it's my TV needs a firmware update, not the Bolt that I am using. I plugged the Bolt to two other TVs, and I get the same message. Had anyone experienced the same issue?

Kabosu Official

Last edited: