Solved! HDMI Connectors: Impact on Performance

Behindthewall

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
I ran 4 HDMI cables behind a wall and then covered the wall with stone only to learn that the cables are too short on one side. I know that HDMI connectors exist but can't find anything about the impact on the signal quality. Does anyone know?

Solution
finding any information on that topic is a crapshoot, everyone seems to have their own opinion. its highly circumstantial (equipment used for source, cable brand/quality, interferences, television used, total length of cable, etc) but some people report no visible loss at all (especially in short runs like joining two six foot cables ) and some report that they see "sparklies".

i've never heard of there being an official test to get any numbers or comparison images but any extra connection or distance over 50ft (if i remember the max distance right) will introduce some sort of degradation. having a very long run and a splitter could possibly cause more interference than a coupler on two short cables in a short run however in your...
finding any information on that topic is a crapshoot, everyone seems to have their own opinion. its highly circumstantial (equipment used for source, cable brand/quality, interferences, television used, total length of cable, etc) but some people report no visible loss at all (especially in short runs like joining two six foot cables ) and some report that they see "sparklies".

i've never heard of there being an official test to get any numbers or comparison images but any extra connection or distance over 50ft (if i remember the max distance right) will introduce some sort of degradation. having a very long run and a splitter could possibly cause more interference than a coupler on two short cables in a short run however in your situation short of running an entirely new cable the right length (which is the "optimal solution" this is your only real choice.

if you're using a decent shielded cable at a reasonable length under the maximum and you get a decent coupler i would say you might be fine. keep in mind you can always buy at a local shop like bestbuy, walmart, etc and just return a cable & connector if it doesnt work how you want it to.

Solution

Behindthewall

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
Thanks for your thoughts! I only need another foot or so and the salesperson at Best Buy said the signal quality would decrease by half - which was somewhat devastating after all the work we've done. I guess the next move is to buy a short cable and see how it looks. Again, thanks!

The techs at b b also say a $150 monster cable improves video performance over a $20 off brand. Some are knowledgeable but most are full of crap. There might be signal degradation but 50% sounds very high. Think about people using faceplates and how they do fine with a 3 part cable. Worst come to worst they do make signal boosters but in your case I think you will be okay.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008

Some are knowledgeable but most are full of crap. There might be signal degradation but 50% sounds very high.

By most, you mean 99.9999% I've been buying stuff from best buy for many years and only once did I meet a employee who truly knew what he was talking about, everyone else know absolutely nothing or if they do, they pretty much BS to get you to buy something more expensive, which is okay since they are trying to do business.

And I completely agree, monster is overpriced stuff that charges 10x the price for the brand name and provides no noticeable improvement.