Solved! HDMI Converter for 1970's B&W Tube TV

cpercival

Honorable
Jan 6, 2015
I recently found the old B&W TV my family watched at dinner when I was a kid and I thought it would be a fun project to see if I can get it working again. It's a 1970-something Panasonic Orbitel TR-005. It's in great shape and the display seems like it still works. It doesn't even have a coax input though. It just has UHF and VHF antenna connectors. Is it possible to convert the HDMI output of my cable box to an antenna connection? From what I've found so far, it seems I may have to convert from HDMI to RCA to coax to antenna, but I have no idea if this is possible. Thanks for any advice

Panasonic_TR-005_cord.jpg
Panasonic_TR-005_back.jpg

Solution
That thing looks very neat, what I suggest you do here is instead of trying to use the TV as it, mod it and stick a modern LCD screen and connections in it.

There are HDMI to RF antenna adapters but I don't know how that antenna connection will work with this old style connectors. Or even if the picture quality you get with it would be viewable enough to be worth it.
That thing looks very neat, what I suggest you do here is instead of trying to use the TV as it, mod it and stick a modern LCD screen and connections in it.

There are HDMI to RF antenna adapters but I don't know how that antenna connection will work with this old style connectors. Or even if the picture quality you get with it would be viewable enough to be worth it.

Solution