HDMI Splitter question

gadgethead

Commendable
Sep 9, 2016
I have the new hopper3 4k receiver, a new P75-C1 4k vizio tv and a non 4k harmon kardon avr. The tv does not have an HDMI out. I am looking for an HDMI splitter that will send 4K to one device (tv) and non-4k to the second device(avr). All the splitters I have seen will dumb down both signals to the lowest device which is no help.

Solution
There is no simple HDMI splitter that can do this. One with EDID control for each output would allow you to send 4k to both but the receiver may not be happy with that. To send HD to the receiver and UHD to the TV would be really expensive if you could find a video scaler that would do it.
Fortunately in your case the second device is an AVR so you don't need to connect the hopper to it with HDMI use the optical audio output to the receiver. No loss of sound quality unless they are using lossless audio codecs.
There is no simple HDMI splitter that can do this. One with EDID control for each output would allow you to send 4k to both but the receiver may not be happy with that. To send HD to the receiver and UHD to the TV would be really expensive if you could find a video scaler that would do it.
Fortunately in your case the second device is an AVR so you don't need to connect the hopper to it with HDMI use the optical audio output to the receiver. No loss of sound quality unless they are using lossless audio codecs.

Solution