Headphone mic issue

Nepzboy

Estimable
Oct 17, 2014
There is only one jack to plug in headphone's cable in my laptop so i cant plug in my mic's cable. what to do ?

Solution
Some notebooks may have a TRRS(tip ring ring sleeve or 4 contact points) jack. That would be a single jack that can deal with headphones and mic over a single plug(with an adapter). This is the same type of plug cell phones use.

If you just have a normal TRS(tip ring sleeve or 3 contact points) jack, you will need to look into an external usb sound card or stick. The most basic ones look like a flash drive with 2 jacks on them.

I recommend using a extension cable with these stick type sound cards if you happen to be the kind of person who is prone to bumping things connected to the laptop since the extension cable is still smaller than the card. USB ports are too easy to break.

nukemaster

Distinguished
Some notebooks may have a TRRS(tip ring ring sleeve or 4 contact points) jack. That would be a single jack that can deal with headphones and mic over a single plug(with an adapter). This is the same type of plug cell phones use.

If you just have a normal TRS(tip ring sleeve or 3 contact points) jack, you will need to look into an external usb sound card or stick. The most basic ones look like a flash drive with 2 jacks on them.

I recommend using a extension cable with these stick type sound cards if you happen to be the kind of person who is prone to bumping things connected to the laptop since the extension cable is still smaller than the card. USB ports are too easy to break.

Solution
I think nukemaster hit it on the head. Many Asus laptops employ a 'combo jack' that fits that description. While it saves on overhead and the trouble of soldering a separate port, it seems to be usually not a desired thing by end-users.

If it comes down to it, you may need to look into an external USB sound stick/hub. Asus, somewhat ironically, makes a very well received one: Asus Xonar U3.