Solved! Headphone Specs, Meaningless Numbers?

waleedfsd

Great
Feb 23, 2018
So I have question about all the youTubers recommending Headphones like Audio Technica m50x or some Expensive SennHeizer headphones with specs like 32 ohms Impedance and 400mm drivers and frequency range of 20hz-20khz

BUT all these headphones are expensive as hell (At least where i live) and there is an alternative HyperX Cloud Pro these headphones are cheaper than All the above and have better Specs than all the Above with 60 ohms Impedance and 53mm Drivers and Solid Frequency range and 98dBSPL/mW at 1kHz

So Why aren't all youtubers recomending this? are they not better, Numbers say they are... Do the Numbers mean nothing than and if so than How do actually tell if the headphones are good? Is the Only way to know is to try them Out yourself or listen to an opinion of another person or a YouTuber?

Solution
D
The Hyper X is a rebranded, modified and retuned Takstar 80. They're good for the cheap price. They aren't what you would call audiophile or natural sounding. Any 'gaming' headset is going to be colored and tuned for gaming. Not tuned to sound natural for music. The Takstar the HyperX is based on is one of the better choices under $100.

SoNic67

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2012
Everyone can claim 20-20k band. In reality no headphone is perfectly linear in that band. Those small irregularities translate in "coloring" the original sound. Also, the mechanics of the diaphragm can create intermodulation and distortion (THD) and that's not captured by the band numbers. You want to hear only the original sound or other by-products?
There are sites that measure the headphones installed on a dummy head. But even those can't measure everything. Surely it is better than just those numbers for bandwidth and SPL.
If you have a good hearing and educated to pay attention to what you really are hearing, compare with real instruments when available, then you will see that the parameters that describe audio performance cannot be limited to bandwidth and loudness alone.

https://www.headphone.com/pages/evaluating-headphones

waleedfsd

Great
Feb 23, 2018

So you Think the headphones I mentioned are actually better? We can Actually get Better sound for Cheaper Price?

waleedfsd

Great
Feb 23, 2018

So basically these Numbers mean nothing and I have to Try ever single headphone Till I get the right one or just buy the most Expensive AudioPhile Headphones?

SoNic67

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2012
No. There are other numbers that are more meaningful and you can look at the site linked above too.
However, if you are listening to compressed mp3 or online music... it might not matter what headphones you have. Will sound bad with any headphones.
There are good headphones with decent prices but you have to research, see what others are saying about them.

waleedfsd

Great
Feb 23, 2018

Can you suggest a few? My budget is under 100 USD

D

Deleted member 217926

Audio is very subjective. What sounds good to you might not sound good to me and vise versa. That being said specs like frequency response are mostly useless unless you can read a graph. Even then it's like trying to show how something tastes with a picture.

The M50X is love it or hate it. It has a V shaped EQ with boosted treble and bass at the expense of the mids. The Hyper X Cloud is I believe, a rebranded and slightly modified Takstar Pro 80. A lower end headphone but one that's good for the price.

What Sennheisers? What are you looking for? Gaming or music?

D

Deleted member 217926

Budget? What kind of music? Audiophile can mean different thing to different people. To me the cheapest true audiophile headphones are Sennheiser HD600s. They are the neutral, natural reference. They would also require an amplifier of some type. Whether that's a $50 amp or a $5000 amp is up to you.

Is it possible to get 'audiophile' cheaper? You can get close. I'd need more info for more recommendations.

D

Deleted member 217926

HyperX are rebranded Takstar 80s. M50X is love it or hate it and very V shaped. It's certainly not in the realm of being called audiophile or natural. Entry level perhaps. That's the most random review site I've ever seen. In the 10 years or so I've been playing with high end headphones I've never come across it.

Edit: I already posted most of that. Sorry for the double. It's late. :p

SoNic67

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2012
As a rule of thumb, open back headphones are overwhelmingly more faithful to the audio program, without coloring the sound.
However they leak sound outside, so they can be used only at home.

Closed back headphones can color the sound, and that includes enhancing the bass... Some people like that, personally I don't.

D

Deleted member 217926

The Hyper X is a rebranded, modified and retuned Takstar 80. They're good for the cheap price. They aren't what you would call audiophile or natural sounding. Any 'gaming' headset is going to be colored and tuned for gaming. Not tuned to sound natural for music. The Takstar the HyperX is based on is one of the better choices under $100.

Solution
D

Deleted member 217926

Current collection: HD598, HD600, HD650, Massdrop x Fostex TH-X00 Mahogany, TH-X00 Ebony and a Focal Elear. So I'd say I'm covered.

The K701 is also bass lite ( or bass free ) and needs an amp.