Headphones broken in speaker, sound only on left side.

Aug 20, 2018
I have headphones that that were bought less than a month ago. They're work only on the left side, and if I twisted the wire going into them, they hit a sweet spot a couple of times and sound came through the right side. I can't find the sweet spot anymore, and I know it's not my tablet, system, or the jack. I would really rather not have to buy new headphones, so can anyone tell me if I could fix them?

Solution
Did you keep the sales receipt?

Either way (yes or no) Ross may still have a record of your purchase - especially if you used a credit card.

Do not know what "terms" they may use with respect to defective returns.

You still have possible solutions. Google and look for YouTube videos (or any source) where someone opened up and fixed identical headphones.

Then you open up your headphones and see what you can find.

Nothing to lose if they are not working and not returnable.

They may be fixable depending on the location of the "sweet spot".

Basically, the cable would need to be cut probably a couple of inches on each side of sweet spot.

Then, with ther remaining wires (one to headphones, one to plug) you would need to strip the insulation off of the internal wires (probably four) and match them by color.

The wires would then need to be soldered together and each connection individually wrapped in insulating tape. Or you may be able to use heat shrink tubing.

If you have never done such things find a family member or friend who can help.

Google "how to splice headphone wires together" to find videos and other instructions.

Aug 20, 2018

Even if the problem is inside the headphone casing?

It may be possible....

Did not pick up on the "sweet spot" being so close to or inside the casing.

The problem is much the same except the casing would need to be opened. Might have small screws (visible or otherwise) or need to be pried and snapped apart.

Always a risky venture.

Inside most likely soldered connections with little room to work unless there is some small circuit board that is also removable.

Just refine the "repair" search accordingly and see what you can find and what will required with any such repair.

However, if the headphones are less than a month old you may have some warranty coverage. See if you can RMA them before you make any repair attempts.

DIY repairs are very likely to void any warranties. Repair is last resort when there is nothing to lose.

Aug 20, 2018

I'm not sure they have any warranty at all, as they were purchased at Ross. I could try taking a look inside, but I have no idea what they'll look like inside.

Aug 20, 2018

When I got these, I threw away the packaging, because I didn't see a point to keeping it, and I can't find the same headphone on Amazon. They're by Sharper Image, but that's all I have. I'm kinda upset over this, but I'm not seeing any solutions. Thanks for your help so far.

Did you keep the sales receipt?

Either way (yes or no) Ross may still have a record of your purchase - especially if you used a credit card.

Do not know what "terms" they may use with respect to defective returns.

You still have possible solutions. Google and look for YouTube videos (or any source) where someone opened up and fixed identical headphones.

Then you open up your headphones and see what you can find.

Nothing to lose if they are not working and not returnable.

Solution