Headphones for gaming under £60 / $100

Hazzer

Estimable
Apr 28, 2014
[strike]Looking for headphones for gaming, and listening to some music, under £120 / $200

I need them to be very comfy, preferably soft plush ear cushions than leather

I also need them to be very durable, with possibly a metal frame so it wont break

I would prefer them to not need a soundcard, however if they need one that is fine

Thanks[/strike]

mod edit... copied this new information from your duplicate post

Need some headphones, wanting to spend less than before, around £60 / $100 ish

Over ear, open back

Any suggestions?

Thanks

dt990pro 134gbp http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beyerdynamic-DT990-PRO-Headset-250/dp/B0011UB9CQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=8-1&keywords=dt990 this will require a soundcard since they are 250ohm. the cheapest one that will drive them is the xonar dg for 25gbp but the creative z for 66gbp would be a much better choice. alternatively if you did not care about virtual surround sound you could power them with an amplifier instead. the dt990 is an open design with a fairly wide soundstage, fun sound profile feature more treble and bass with recessed mids, decent bass output for an open pair of cans as well as good clarity of sound. beyers are known to be comfortable.

ad900x 124gbp http://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-Technica-ATH-AD900X-AD900X-OPENBACK-HDPHNS/dp/B009S331VU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408228799&sr=8-1&keywords=ad900x this does not need a soundcard. this series is an open design known for a huge soundstage and good crisp high/mids. they are however rather bass light so not for bassheads.

hd558 119gbp http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-Over-Ear-Headphones-E-A-R-Technology/dp/B004FEEY9A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=8-1&keywords=hd558 these also do not need a soundcard however may benefit a bit from a small portable amp for increased volume. these are similar to the hd598 (not listed since they are over 150gbp) and have a smaller soundstage then the previous two, are slightly less clear and may have more bass then the 900x but likely not as much as the 990.

the three above are commonly used for gaming. others include the ad700x (cheaper version of the 900x) and hd598 (too expensive). they all feature open designs since this is what works best for gaming.

i listed three which i believe have soft cushions however you can replace the pads on any headphones with velour if you want.

not many headphones will have a metal frame however the plastic frames used on many of them are rather durable.

--

if you instead wanted a "headset" not "headphones" instead then you may want to look at the sennheiser u320 or the pc350/pc363d if you can find them on a rather hefty sale (normally 160gbp)

i deleted your duplicate thread since you already had this one.

instead of creating duplicates you should just add the new information to your existing thread and change the title accordingly which i've done and post that you changed your needs/wants.

you might also want to actually respond to the people posting to your threads if you want them to continue looking at and posting ideas.

--

finding something decent which is "open" design and over-ear under 100 is hard enough in the states but given the at least 25% higher prices in the uk its going to be very hard for 60gbp to find anything half decent in that price bracket without settling a bit on your needs.

the creative auvana lives are 60gbp and many people mention that they are one of the better headphones in that price bracket however they are closed design which you do not seem to want. not that closed design is a bad thing.

you wanted over-ear however the semi-open on-ear akg k121 is 48gbp and is in budget. its more high/mid focused. review here http://www.head-fi.org/t/672130/akg-k121-headphonereview

the audiotechnica ad700x has deals for about 92gbp and is a good open headphone with wide soundstage and a more mid/high focused sound. i would think that the ad500x which is the next step down from this model would be cheaper however it was actually more expensive on amazon uk so you might want to look around to see if you can get it cheaper as you would think given the prices of the 900x and 700x that this should be somewhere just above your budget in terms of price.

the samson sr850 is 50gbp and i saw it recommended as a decent pair of open headphones for cheap but i know next to nothing about them so cannot vouche at all for what they sound like or how good they are.

i saw a used hd558 for 48gbp on ebay uk. normally 120gbp new. good deal if you dont mind used. you can always just buy new pads for them if you are skittish about using someone elses headphones.

Hazzer

Estimable
Apr 28, 2014

You are still suggesting items too high in value, I know you can't get studio quality but I want to see what the next best options are below £60