Headphones for PC Gaming for less then $100?

ShockInfantry

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013
My Gamecom 780 has done me well for almost 2 years now, but I get the feeling it won't last much longer. For the price it was really good, the audio was good with the 7.1 surround sound (As far as I can tell, never owned anything better then this until now) and the Mic was excellent for communicating with teammates in Video games. It was pretty comfortable for wearing even after 4-6 hours and I liked the fact the cups enclosed around my ears.

After doing a bit of research, the general consensus seems to be that unless you are getting a really high end Gaming Headset, that Gaming Headsets are mostly not very good compared to a dedicated Headphone+ clip on Mic. Which is a problem for me as although I am willing to spend more on headphones then before, I don't want to spend too much.

For games I mostly play either FPS, RTS, Grand Strategy, and some RPGs. The only music I really listen to is probably some of my favorite soundtracks from video games like Fire Emblem. I will be using them exclusively at home as my dedicated sound system for my PC so need to worry about portability issues or console compatibility.

The only solid thing I have decided upon so far for a Headphone is that I think I would like an Open-backed Headphone, because I hear it has better positional audio to tell where sounds are coming from and the fact that I can hear whenever somebody needs me in the house. The only problem I might have with it is sound leakage, the walls in my room aren't very soundproof and I worry people will hear my headphones.

My preliminary choice so far seems to be the AD500X, for its open-backed headphones and ofc the price, but I'm still far from certain to say the least.

Solution

D

Sound wise, that is subjective, they are both great sounding headphones for their price range, it would be good for you to listen to both before buying.

As to why I'd choose the HD518 over the AD500X? Well because 1) The HD518s have a detachable cable and 2) Some users online say the support "wings" on the AD500Xs fit loosely on some people's heads.

ekagori

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013

D

Sound wise, that is subjective, they are both great sounding headphones for their price range, it would be good for you to listen to both before buying.

As to why I'd choose the HD518 over the AD500X? Well because 1) The HD518s have a detachable cable and 2) Some users online say the support "wings" on the AD500Xs fit loosely on some people's heads.

Solution

ShockInfantry

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013
Alright, I will keep that in mind, don't know where to find place to listen to them before using them though. Checked my local Fry's Electronic store, unfortunately seems to have only lower end Sennheisers and an AD700x so seems like I will have to order online for them.

On this topic, should I invest on a cheap sound card as well or is it unnecessary at this price range? My motherboard is a Gigabyte Z77-D3H and I'm assuming it doesn't have anything too great onboard for sound. Is it better to get a $80 Headphone w/ $30-40 sound card or just get a $110-120 Headphone by itself?

ekagori

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
Your onboard sound should be sufficient to drive either headphone, so I wouldn't go out buying a sound card unless you are not satisfied with the sound quality or are getting interference from your motherboard in the form of hissing. If you need a sound card get something like the Asus DG or get a small external amp/dac like the FiiO E07K to drive your headphones.

If you're willing to stretch your headphone budget then get the HD558, they are almost as good as the HD598.

ShockInfantry

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013
Alright, the sound card question was more of a curiosity then anything, I might get a Asus DG down the road as a cheap upgrade maybe. To be honest I will probably just limit myself to HD518 or AD500x, rather try my best to keep control on my budget for once.

Any Mics you can recommend for me? I know Modmic 4.0 is pretty popular for ease of use and quality, but I wonder if it is $50 well spend for one of those.

ShockInfantry

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013
After thinking it through, I decided to order the AD500x, I think the non-detachable cable will provide better strength to the connection, plus its length probably won't be a problem if its going to be tethered to my PC 99% of the time. Sound quality should be good for both of them I think. The wings maybe an issue, but I guess I will chance it, if not I guess there is the rubber band fix.

Thanks for your help in putting out alternatives regardless!

ekagori

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
No worries man, glad I could help, you won't be disappointed with the AD500X, Audio Technica make some good headphones, I personally use the M50X and love them. Enjoy your new headphones!