Headphones have a built in mic but wont work

Lildummmy

Estimable
Dec 3, 2015
First off I didnt know where to post this so sore is this is the wrong spot. I just got done building my new PC today and wanted to play some games on it with my friends but my headphones mic is not being recognized as a microphone. Ive messed with the settings in the sound but still cant get it working. It worked fine with my laptop. Here are the headphones I use http://store.nba.com/league/NBA/team/Boston_Celtics/category/3081/browse/featuredproduct/1149139//partnerID/13558/source/ak1944nba-pla?sku=3712345&003=14181044&010=1149139

Solution
Probably because your laptop has a "combo" single jack that performs both tasks (mic & earphones), whereas your PC has separate jacks for mic and earphones, but headset only has a single (combo jack-plug.

If that's the case, you need an adapter cable which converts single combo plug on headset to two separate plugs for your PC. Search on Amazon for one, they are widely available.

However, even adapter cable may not work on a desktop PC because on the Skullcandy product page (your link) it says this:

In-line microphone compatible with mobile devices that have a 3.5-mm headphone jack

Doesn't mention desktop PC compatibility.

Also telling is the fact that they are simply called "Headphones", not a...
Probably because your laptop has a "combo" single jack that performs both tasks (mic & earphones), whereas your PC has separate jacks for mic and earphones, but headset only has a single (combo jack-plug.

If that's the case, you need an adapter cable which converts single combo plug on headset to two separate plugs for your PC. Search on Amazon for one, they are widely available.

However, even adapter cable may not work on a desktop PC because on the Skullcandy product page (your link) it says this:

In-line microphone compatible with mobile devices that have a 3.5-mm headphone jack

Doesn't mention desktop PC compatibility.

Also telling is the fact that they are simply called "Headphones", not a "Headset" which I would expect them to be called if they were desktop PC compatible.

Solution

Mark_1970

Estimable
Nov 14, 2015

Yes headsets have two plugs for PC,s as no combo sockets are on them